Wheel Nut vs. Wing Nut

I've searched but maybe I'm using the wrong terminalogy. Specifically, instead of using the correct wingnut, I've seen a blue MkIV 427 Cobra (had a 351 Yates motor) with a huge center lock nut holding with wheels on instead of the customary wingnut.

Anyone know where one might be able to acquire those?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I purchased my knock offs from Halibrand. I would try them for the nuts as well. Indy cars use them so they should be available. They were willing to thread them any way I wanted.
Bill

Try:

http://www.enkei.com

They are in Fort Worth and they make a model wheel called the RC5 that is special order. But it does take the single central locking wheel nut which maybe they can help you find.

I did run across a page detailing a F1 pit stop and it said the central nut has a locking pin which is released when the gun is inserted and is then manually pulled back out to lock the nut after the gun is removed. This same article also said these nuts are torqued to 450 pounds! Could this be true - that must be one hell of a gun to hang onto if it is.

The comp new shelby cobra series uses these. I expect you can find out a lot of info from Finish Line Motorsports in NV as they field a three car team.

My Testarossa has single nuts and they are torqued to 280 ft-lbs. The car comes with a nice wrench and a bloody big lead hammer - all of which fit within less than an inch from the body. I took a wheel off once and swore I would sell the car before doing that again.

Thanks!!

That's what I've been looking for. Hopefully, the threads are the same. I'm not sure what the thread's are for a GT40 or Cobra. But, those are the styles I need. I only want to use them for open track events.

Mark

Back