Some Silly Questions!!

Hello everyone,
After a few months of soul searching I have decided to take the plunge and buy a GT40 replica. I hope you can answer a few questions before I jump in feet first!!

My budget is going to be around £15,000. What standard of car will this get me?

What will insurance be like? I currently own a 1968 Mustang, which I pay £100 per year. Will it be a lot more than this? I am 30 years old and plan to do about 3000 miles a year.

I am hoping to come to the track day at Goodwood next month. Would it be possible to have a sit/ride in one on the day?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Darren

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Darren

I can only answer based on GTDs. I think that to get a GTD for 15K will be quite hard although it has been done in the past. Quite rare though. You could be getting an older car with no real upgrades built into it if you found one. Still could be in fair/good condition. Often a car at this price would be rebuilt to the new owners spec so costing more than 15K overall.

Insurance will be more than your exisiting car. I am trying to remember what I paid at age 30. Possibly around £500 to £700 with full no claims. You need to phone around.

Do come to the track day, you should get the chance to blag a sit in at least.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Darren,

If you were lucky enough to find one at this sort of price - just hold out, I did for several years & got one eventually - you might be able to get cheaper insurance than that.

I have just recently insured mine (insurance value £15K), limited to 3000 miles, for just over £300 (with Adrian Flux). I am just slightly older, at 33.

Cheers,

Max

Thanks Guys,

I did some insurance enquiries and was quoted £260 for agreed £15000 value, with a Rover 3.5 V8 & £200 extra for a 302 V8. Didn't think that was bad at all.

I will probably sell the Mustang in the new year and start looking more seriously then.

What time does the track day begin? I'm coming from Nottingham so its a fair drive down!!

Thanks for your help,
Darren

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Darren,

Follow the link to the GT40 Enthusiasts Club page and take a look at the Cars For Sales under For Sale/Wanted. Fred de Braey has reduced his price (advert 53). Unless this is now sold.

Pictures of this car can also be found at GT40 for sale but his page is out of date.

Cheers,

Max

Thanks Max,

I would have been interested but I can't do anything until I've sold the Mustang. If it sells soon though.....

I've booked the day of work so I am planning on coming to Goodwoood for the trackday. To avoid temptation I won't be bringing my chequebook or credit card though!!!!!

Thanks
Darren

Back