Hewland gear box

Hi Paul
several Brits have installed the Hewland box in the more high performance GT40's including Trevor Tailor in his extremely quick yellow GT40.
The Hewland box is however very expensive and is really only suitable for track use with its straight cut gears.
I also noticed on the original FAV drawings detailing the rear suspension, that reference is made to the Hewland trans, it appears that Ford must have seriously considered using it, for it to be detailed on the drawings.

Regards
Chris.

Cheers Chris,
Pretty much the answer I was expecting.
I have been offered a Hewland TL200, although it has a cracked casing & I don't know the state of the internals, for £1000. I don't know if this is a good price or not?
I'm not sure if this box would be a compatible unit although I belive it is good for 500bhp.
Any comments appreciated.

I had a Hewland in my Lola for a while. It was fine on the track but when I retired that car to the street I soon switched to a ZF. Hewland has a great web site and they are helpfull if you contact them.

MK -IV J6
Off topic I know but...
I love your P4 and the GT but the Loloa is my favorite.
How about some pictures of that one. If you can.
Thanks,
John

For some reason that one is happiest on the road. With the aux rad in rear it stays cool even with the AC on. The ride is a bit less jarring and there's much more passenger room.
We trimmed the pass side fuel cell to give passenger a bit more hip room. (It still holds 45 gallons). I think Cigaro had his eye on the T-70 when he pounded out the P4.
Best

Back