parts for gt40 versus Cobra engine

Guys,

Over the ages there have been a number or posts about the engine parts that ought to be present in order to make a GT40 install.

As I said in another post, is about time to look at the GT40 again. Have come to the realization that I need to go to an OK but not super strong engine as would have been my natural preference. This leads me to some sort of crate engine because of cost. Have to plan much more carefully than was once the case ... and it may take me the next year to find the monies and actually acquire the stuff.

Have already made enough decisions that I'm in to a 351. Simple carborated seems the least expensive plan. Is there a summary, or could someone nice provide me with a summary of the things that should be on a GT40 engine? Stuff like the pan, the water pump (but I don't remember which one), the pulleys etc. Please give me enough information that I can track down the parts or ask a vendor their willingness to provide the desired parts versus the ones normally included on the standard crate engine.

Thank you VERY much for the help.

Mike

If initial cost is a major issue, you could install a
rebuilt 351 from Advance Auto or Pep Boys. I bought one for
my Cobra for $ 1400, installed an Edelbrock cam/intake, and it ran well. Can always upgrade later. Believe my oil pan
was from Milodon....nice shiny gold color...around $ 100.
Again...can always switch to a finned style later.
As far as water pump/pulleys, seems to be split between
those using V-belts and those using serpentine.
IMHO V-belt is easier/cheaper...but not as strong...
and watch out for distributor clearance... Mallory Unilite
seems to be the smallest. What is Lynn using?
just my .02...

MikeD

MikeD,

OK ... not a bad idea! Have located a source at the right price. Assuming a long block, it'll need valve covers, pan, timing cover, water pump, pulleys, distributor, etc.

Seems to me that I remember that there is a particular water pump that has less forward projection than others. Can any one help me with the p/n and recommendation for other required stuff ... and (shall we say) suppliers to the "thrifty?"

What sort of power were you aiming to make with it? How did it work out in the Cobra?

Thanks again!

mike

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Mike,

Glad you are around! If you get a water pump and front cover from a 1991-1993 5.0L Tbird or 1994-1995 Mustang you'll be getting a very short serpentine setup, much shorter than the 86-93 5.0L Ford motors. I told someone those two interchange (the Tbird and Mustang) but they do not. However, they are short and if you get the cover along with either one you'll be fine. I'm using a 94-95 stang cover and pump, it is quite compact but did not line up with my RF stuff so I had to shorten all the spacers.

I think these will fit a 351, but not sure. Check on www.corral.net

Ron

Ron

Another option for a short CW rotation pump (usually used for v-belt) is the Ford "Street rod water pump." This is to be used with older style covers for standard v-belt setups. It is about the same length as the ones mentioned by Ron but rotates CW versus CCW. I am finishing up what appears to be a nice serpetine setup using this pump. I wanted to lower my alt and A/C and use a short pump. The A/C bracket is not welded, but I can show you a CAD rendition of what it is going to look like:
New Brackets

The A/C is actually going to be mounted much lower then pictured (next to crank pulley) to give more wrap on the WP pulley.

I'm not completly sure about the years but 1997-2000 explorers with a 5.0 is what RF uses for the V-belt front dress. If you pick up the harmonic balancer it even has a sprocket for a crank trigger.
These parts are getting easy to find, seems Ford is using them on the 302 crate engines and most pweople don't want this style.
John

That's kind of interesting that they still used the Vbelt in 2000 because my 2001 5.0 Explorer is serpentine.

MN12

You misunderstood John's post. Ford supplies serpentine
only, which many Cobra/street rod people remove.
Roaring Fourties (RF) uses a v-belt on their kit to save
space.

Mike S

To answer your question, I was not shooting for a specific HP level. I just wanted the most "cost efficient" 351 since the budget was very limited, and it was essentially the same
cost as a rebuilt 302. My guess is maybe a shade over 300 hp, but it's the torque via the additional displacement
that made it fun. I NEVER had to downshift when making turns! That car also had 3.73 rear, so it pulled very hard
down low. And I figured I could always swap to better
cylinder heads and pick up 100 hp at anytime.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
Actually RF uses both. I have a sepentine one mine, as do most of the folks. Mark W. I think has a v belt setup.

Ron

Back