302 balancing

Can anyone give me an opinion on the balancing requirements on a 302. I've bought a complete, running engine, fitted with a stock 302 flywheel.

For my GTD I'll need to change the flywheel to the smaller (V6?) type as used by GTD.

My query is do I have to pull the crank from the new engine & have the whole assembly balanced, or can I balance the flywheel & clutch seperately & just swap over?

If it's pf any relevance the redline will be 6400.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Hi Julian
Best to pull the crank and get the hole thing balanced.
You could also use the large flywheel and go for the large bell housing from Mach 1 or Tornado.
Regards
Chris

According to the shop I went to everything needs to be balanced together. This includes the harmonic balancer and con rods. Balancing is especially impotantant as the stock flywheels came with a preset amount of "imbalance". A flywheel from another application won't have this.

My experience has been that even 2 flywheels from the same manufacturer, with the same amount of imbalance, will balance differently.
I'd vote for either balancing the entire rotating assembly while apart, or using previous balance data from your engine to balance the new flywheel to match the old one.

Julian,
My understanding is that everything should be balanced together, that means Harmonic Balancer, rods, pistons, crank, flywheel and also presur plate etc.

Brett

Hi Julian,
I used a 302 flywheel with a V6 Essex ring gear on my car, just had the flywheel turned down to the correct diameter, also I dont like the idea of re-drilling the holes for the crank to flywheel bolts-it weakens that area.

Thanks guys for all the info.

Basically I'll have two complete engines, a wheezy marine spec 302 with the correct flywheel, but needing a new, stronger clutch, & a much more powerfull 302, with a stock 302 flywheel & clutch.

I need to retain the R30 bellhousing for some other mods I'm considering.

Roy, I wasn't aware you could turn down the 302 flywheel. This may be my best option. Do you retain the 302 clutch? & If I remember from looking at your car, you use the R30 bellhousing and adaptor plate?

Cheers!

Julian, your best bet is to get a steel flywheel. Much stronger than cast, no extra holes, can be set up for whatever clutch you want, and balanced to suit engine. Try Mark Sibley at MDA.
Regards, Mike Inglis

Hi Julian,
I used an AP 4 paddle plate and cover plate from Roy Lane at Techcraft although I beleive these have been superseded by a 6 paddle plate. The clutch is perfect and I can pull away in 4th gear-I am using a homemade pedal box with a .75 master cylinder so I think that is why the pedal is so progressive.

Back