MSD Distributors.....

Malcolm

Supporter
I plan to put a new dizzy in the car when the engine goes back in soon. I would like to use an MSD billet dizzy as I already have a 6AL control box plus master blaster coil. However I hear rumours that the standard diameter of an MSD fouls the rear bulkhead on a GTD. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? They make a smaller diameter dizzy but by the time I put a steel gear on it, it will work out a chunk more expensive.

Also talking with Real Steel they seem to have delays on getting the parts whilst they wait for their container of orders to fill up. Can anyone give me a contact for an MSD dealer in the states who has the parts and would be prepared to ship them?

Ideally I would like to be able to use PN8598 (comes with steel gear fitted). Small diameter dizzy is PN8579. Regualr dizzy is PN8582 I think.

All help appreciated.

Malcolm

Malcolm,
I have a MSD dizzy PN 8582 sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. If you want I can bring it to Goodward on the 18th? I got mine from Summit Racing in the US. www.summitracing.com they were pretty helpful and quick (plus it actually worked out cheaper than than Real STeel, even with the discount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

Brett

And if you use the discount code N54103 at summit racing you get 10% off (good until Aug 7th).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Malcolm,

It would be worth speaking to Frank, who first raised this possible problem with me when I said I was getting an MSD billet unit. Brett sent me the dimensions and I measured the gaps on my GTD. It would clear by 10 mm but Frank's point was that under braking the gap would get smaller to the point where the engine is being held by the distributor cap!

It does depend on the position of your engine, if you can lower the gearbox from standard this would help a little. In the end I went for a Mallory electronic - but its not running yet - should be by Goodwood though (put your bets on after reading www.gt40.me.uk) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Cheers
David

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Guys, thanks for all the input. On Saturday I went to Goodwood to see Martin, Robin, Paul, Dave, Roy, Ray, Roy (again!), Frank and Andrew compete in a sprint there. Between the cars present most systems were covered.

I saw that on Martin's car he had the 4.75 inch MSD dizzy. At rest it was in contact with the bulkhead. No 10mm gap at all. Therefore the standard diameter dizzy at 5 3/8 inch, would be sticking into the cabin. No chance of fitting one of those. If and when Martin lowers the engine he will gain sufficient clearance to remove a concern over the pressure being applied to the dizzy cap. He has clearly got away with it so far. Longitudinal bracing from the gearbox to rear chassis will help here.

A number of the others run a magnetic breakerless Mallory unit. It is only 93mm in diameter so I have been informed. About 3.75 inches.

Where engines have been lowered, the MSD units could well fit. As I have no immediate intention of doing that I will be buying a Mallory unit.

Thanks for the offer of your MSD unit Brett, but I don't think it would work out for me this time.

Now to try and get a Mallory unit ASAP!

Malcolm

Malcolm I have found that using a thinner and harder tranny rubber mount changes the angle of the engine and increases the clearance at the distributor. 1964 Pontiac works well. Napa/Balkamp #602-1061; Seal Power #270-2206; Republic #31-2206.

How much thinner are these mounts? I think the current ones are about 2" - I should go and measure! Lowering the tranny by 1" would move the top of the engine back by maybe 1/2" at most?? The gearbox rear to engine mount is much further than the mount to top of the engine.

I have heard that Land Rovers use these mounts and you can get them in different thicknesses - so maybe an easier source than Pontiac.

Malc, I just bought mine from Summit Racing code MAA-5055101 Electronic. Total cost <£170 inc shipping and taxes!! Way to go!

Mallory makes a distributor that uses a crap style cap for blower applications, but I think it could be of good use to our group. Apparently internally it just has a limited total advance which can be set back to normal. I tought about looking into this, but have not had the time. If one of you wants to do a bit more digging we all could benefit, etc. You can see the part at

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/distributor.htm

It is made by Mallory.

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks for the info Dave on your success using Summit. Just need to remember the time zone difference and call when the guys are awake in Ohio.

Sorry guys but no plans to change mounts at this stage.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks for the tip on discount code Gary. Summit should have my dizzy with me soon. Only glitch was how long the phone call to Summit was as somoething went wrong in the order process. However after a moan about the 44 minute call, they made good by dropping the shipping charge. All in $212 versus the £245 UK price. Taxes to come I am sure though.

Malcolm

Ron Earp

Admin
Malcolm,

Make sure you get a steel gear on the dizzy and not an iron one. They always ship with iron ones for some damn reason. The roller cam you've got, if you're using the same one, is designed for a steel gear. You can use a bronze one, but it will wear. Ford uses steel gears in the OEM application and they'll last well beyong 150k.

I always have very good service with Summit. We have a love - love relationship. I love their service, and they love my money. I usually have no porblem with phone orders, but now I typically order online at www.summitracing.com. I get the order in two days shipped from Ohio to VA.

Malcolm,
The taxes won't be that much. I paid £130 for over $900 worth of equipment + shipping. The gov are really sneaky, they charge duty on the parts then add the shipping then add VAT to the lot.

Brett

Oh need to add if you go the Customs and Excise website, you kind find the rate, which they convert against.

Malcolm,

My order was sent over the web. Cost £nil (ish) - however here were some follow up phone calls. When they did have everything in stock it shipped Monday and arrived Thursday!

Malcolm

Supporter
Well I just hope the dizzy arrives soon as the track day loometh!

I pulled my car from storage yesterday night and am collecting all other peices of it today to put it all in the same county for once. New garage is commisioned for later this year so I am grateful to Julian for loan of his garage to put the car back together in.

I have a steel gear waiting to go on Ron. Interestingly both Summit and Real Steel said that this dizzy runs a gear suitable for my cam shaft already. However Real Steel said that if you wanted to be sure then to fit a new gear anyway. Which I intend to do.

Thanks for all the help guys

Malcolm

Ron Earp

Admin
I'd trust real steel. That is good you guys and order direct, I was thinking that someone in England said that wouldn't work! Fantastic! That should get you folks some parts at more reasonable prices than local UK prices.

Ron

Malcolm

Supporter
The risk from buying overseas is that it is a long way to go to return stuff if you get it wrong, or indeed if thay get it wrong. However I think the risk worth it for a simple dizzy. Having said that, it guarantees this purchase will get screwed up and I will have to eat my own words!!!! Anyway all engine parts are now in the same county, and I even found where I had safely hidden the clutch (in the attic) so tomorrow we hope to get the engine back in.

Malcolm

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a GTD with a small dia billit MSD and it (cap) clears the bulkhead by 1 1/2"s. The nearest wire is about 3/4" away from the cross angle iron below the window. Why don't you take out the gearbox rubber donuts and replace them with a stack of washers and a thought bolt to establish the proper thickness. Start with 3/4" worth, thats what it took me to clear the frame under the gearbox at the rear on my car. The donut Bud is talking about is in my car with two 1/16" washers under it(each side). This will lower the gearbox by just under 1". A lot of stuff fits better when you do this very cheep mod like airfilter to rear lexan, headers to bodywork, any kind of breather pipe on top of your valvecovers to bodywork, By the way my cross over 1" angleiron, below the small rear window,is notched right where the distributor is nearest. This will also make your driveshafts just about perfectly horzontial.

Back