Plastic media blasting

Not GT40-specific, but....

...does anybody have a source in the northeast? I need to get the old primer, paint and body filler off some old fiberglass racecar bodywork & would like to explore this option. I need it to be driving distance from the Danbury, CT area.

Thanks,
Geoff

Geoff, The times I have had it done , the only thing the plastic will take off is the paint. It does not even get into the primer. It is pretty gentle and that is why it does not warp metal panels. When GM was having all of their problems with their water based paint, they used plastic media to strip their warranty cars.In fact,after stripping, the only prep they gave the car before paint was a light DA. The shop I use is in the midwest. Sorry
Bill

Look in the yellow pages for places that sell abrasives for sandblasting. Here in Texas probably the biggest is Clemtex (www.clemtex.com) You might be able to order from them and have it shipped. You can also try glass beads, the same kind used to make road stripes glow. I know the military use them for stripping some materials.

Good luck!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Geooff, There used to be an outfit near you. I am trying to find their business card and number. Try calling Mark at the panel shop in Stratford. His number is 203 377-6208. In the meantime you could also check in Hemmings Motor News for a shop. There were also two shops down here in long island if you are interested in trailering the car, but I don't know if they are still in business. Good luck and if I find the business card of the media blasting place I will post it for you. Let me know if you are interested in the shops down here in NY. Gregg

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Geoff, I couldn't find the business card but remerbered the name of the outfit. It was American Dry Stripping. They used to advertise in Hemmings. Good luck. Gregg

There's an Avery Abrasives in Trumbull, CT, (203) 372-3513 and Pressue Blast Manufacturing Co. in Manchester, CT (860) 643-2487 and a United Abrasives in Willimantic, CT (860) 456-7131. I would think that if none of the carry the plastic media, they could at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys. I'll be on the phone checking into all the leads. I'll let you know how I make out. Geoff

Suggest you also call someone with years of experience working on and restoring high$$ cars (Cobras, including an original Daytona Coupe, GT40s, etc.): Geoff Howard; 203-744-3061 (Danbury, CT).

Back