Looking for GT40 MK I

Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for a while, soaking in information from all of you experts, but now I'm going to brave it and post my first message.

I finally have advertized my Chevy(sic), a 64 Corvette, to make room for a GT40, so the search is on. Here's what I am looking for:

I am deep on the restoration hobby, having restored a couple of Corvettes and a Ford ('55 Thunderbird) and am NOT looking for a complete car, as I think that 3/4 of the fun is doing the work building it.

I don't want to wait 2 years or more for a kit, from ERA for instance, and am leary of purchasing overseas (comments are welcome based on personal experience and/or why I shouldn't be worried). Ideally, I would get ahold of an unfinished kit or a manufacturer that has a reasonable wait time.

I would like to welcome any and all comments or suggestions from owners wishing to sell, manufacturers extolling their cars, and general helpfullness from this great community.

A trade would be another possibility (for my Corvette).

I really prefer the MK I lines over the MK III, but was wondering what the differences were between the two other than the front and rear clip. I ask because maybe I could buy a MK III and convert, but I definately DON'T want to end up with a bastard hybrid car that is worthless to anyone except me.

I am willing to spend up to the price of a quality kit plus any extras that may be offered. Like I said, though, I don't want a complete car or turnkey car less engine/ transaxle.

I really, really appreciate everyone's help and have really enjoyed perusing the board over the past few weeks. Hopefully I'll be posting more in the near future.

Lastly, I was wondering is there are any GT40 owners in the Atlanta, GA area. I would love the opportunity to see someone's car in person, and maybe see an example of one or two manufacturers.

Thanks so much!
Michael Hampson

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

It seems that the needs you outlined in your post can rule out a few of the present car option: ERA would be out due to lengthy wait time (unless a spot in line opens up) as well as the fact that the ERA is pretty near constructed as delivered. The CAV would be out because it's a turnkey minus. That pretty much leaves Roaring Forties, GT40 Australia (former DRB), Tornado and GT40 NZ as the remaining manufacturers that are in business and who have a track record of actually delivering automobiles. Since you've been lurking (and researching), you probably know that GTD is no longer in business (although there is a great level of support for GTDs in the UK) and that MDA is manufacturing a GT40 kit in the UK, but as of a couple weeks ago has not quite delivered their first car (which was a turnkey anyway).

So your options for a new kit can be summarized as Tornado, RF, GT40 Australia, and GT40NZ. Last I heard, the delivery time for a Tornado was 40+ weeks, so that may be out as well. I'm not sure what the current wait time is for the others, but I bet the manufacturers will chime in.

Things you should weigh when you evaluate manufacturers are, in decreasing order of priority, as follows:

<ul type="square">[*] The manufacturer's track record in delivering what he promised, when he promised it, for the agreed upon price.
[*] The manufacturer's track record in supporting his customer after the sale.
[*] The viability and longevity of the manufacturer's business model, so that he actually will have a chance to support you in the future.
[*] The quality of design, construction and fabrication of the chassis and the kit components.
[*] The completeness of the kit and the construction manual that accompanies it.
[*] The depth and breadth of the support community of other builders of that kit here in the US and around the globe.
[*] The willingness of the manufacturer to accomodate different options in the kit (engine and gearbox combinations, body style, engine management ECU, suspension and brakes).
[*] The manufacturer's familiarity with shipping the kit to the US and getting it through customs.
[/list]

As a Roaring Forties owner/builder, I honestly think that RF comes out on the top of the heap with respect to the above criteria and that an RF would fit your needs perfectly. Full disclosure - my opinion may not be entirely objective because I am an RF owner/builder (although I have no financial interest in whose kit you purchase), and I have not seen a GT40 Australia or a GT40 NZ first-hand.

The other option would be for you to bide your time until a partially completed kit comes on the market, or shop for a completed car in the UK, have it shipped home, and restore it yourself. This would most likely be the least expensive option, and possibly the fastest route to getting you building a GT40.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to PM or email me if you have questions that you think might be better addressed off-board.

Mark,

Thanks so much for the help. I actually have been thinking of the Roaring Forties GT40 or the GT40NZ. Aren't there North American reps for Roaring Forties cars now? I'm hoping that someone from RF will chime in.

I think I may make a few phone calls next week and check out the three mfgs that seem to have the best potential.

Anyone in Georgia that wants to show off their car?

-Michael

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Michael,

Please contact me through my e-mail at [email protected] and I will put you in touch with Hershal Byrd or Gordon Levy to sort you out with a ride in one of our cars. Hershal is on holidays till mid next week but I will make sure he contacts you.

We have consignments leving for the States at the end of this month and again about a month later. I could have a car ready for the second shipment if you are quick.

Best wishes,

Robert Logan

Food for thought. I was in the same boat as you, then was about to give up until I heard about MDA. Mark is extremely nice, helpful, and responds almost within hours of most of my emails, even on Sundays. I looked both at Tornado (they don't have a central shifter in left hand drive configuration) and an RF GT40 (I had my checkbook in my hand waiting for Gordon Levy to give my a finalized price, but even after reminding him that I was waiting for a price he told me he hadn't forgotten me. I never did get a price for an RF GT40 for whatever reason). I have no hard feelings here, just dissapointed that nobody ever responded. Anyway, I then got in touch with Mark at MDA and I'm getting what I feel to be a very high quality product at a very good price. Oh, I also was interested in the NZ GT40, but as with RF, even after a second call to them, I never did get the information on components and pricing. If you have any questions just give me an email.

Good Luck,

Jim Downard

Michael Hampson,
I live in the Atlanta area and take my CAV GT-40 MK-1 to local car shows here every weekend. Get in touch with me at kodiakbear_@hot mail.com and you will beable to see my "BLUE BEAUTY".
Joe

Attachments

• 21352-joecar01.jpg
    21352-joecar01.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 320

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Michael,
I think that Hershal or Gordon will contact you shortly I'm sure. I'm located in Raleigh and if you're ever up here you can stop by and see an RF under construction. It appears you've got the skills and space needed for building a car, your restos look great! You'll have to decide up front if you want to build or just buy a car as it changes your choices. If you just want to buy one, well then you can look at all manufacturers as all of them sell turn keys. If you want to build then a couple of them get eliminated as they only offer turn key minus cars or turn keys. Happy hunting and email me if you have any questions.

Best,
Ron

Well, I have to make a choice here, I do profit from selling a car as the dealer in North Florida for the CAV cars. So do I respond to this post or not?

You're in business so a lead is a lead - at the end of the day your potential customer has quite a choice - I'm sure Ron has considered and probably there has been debate over commercial aspects of replies - I suspect in a very small world the decision has to be to maximise input from every possible direction

Micheal,
Welcometo the board. There are several owner/builders in the Atlanta area. I am in the process of building a DRB. Actually I am in the destruction phase of the build. It is down to the bare bones and I am making some alterations before I start the true build. You are welcome to come by and see the car and see the differences in the models, and believe me, there are some big differences, If you wanted, Joe and I are about 10 miles apart and we could all get together and let you see his and mine side by side ( sort of as mine is up on a stand at present). I live just beyond Stone Mountain and Joe is a little further out. Chip Bering has a Tornado and he is off Scott Blvd. There is another Tornado in the Roswell Area and a Spyder somewhere in the Atlanta area, but I am not sure the model. You can reach me by email or phone. I am probably the authority on buying an unfinished kit 9 that is what mine is ). I have a paper that I plan to submit in a week or so on the subject. Just doing the finishing touches now. BTW DRB uses the 85-87 Corvette suspension parts, which you probably have a working knowledge of. Contact me
Bill Musarra

Michael,

A little over a year ago I was in nearly the same situation.

I had a good budget and therefore was on the lookout for the highest quality product. (not necessarily the most expensive).

Again MDA, Mark Sibley, was the most helpful and enthusiastic about my plans. I rate him over any of the other 40 manufacturers (sorry guys!). His chasis is based on the GTD, which has been raced more than any other GT40 replica on the planet. The CAV is part based on a GTD, and th RF seems to be a little of every replica(the good bits). However Mark has made some incredible improvements to an already very good chasis, which is now both lighter, stiffer and stronger than the original GTD.

My car is very nearly finished- early September. Here is the real killer - becuase Mark does not over price his kits you can spend much more money on your engine, suspension, and everything else.

To proove this point my car works out cheaper than say a standard CAV and has components that are all superior. The weight of the car is also lighter than most - just over 1000kgs or 2,200lbs.

There is much to consider when choosing a 40, I would speak to all manufacturers, then make a calculated descision. If I were to buy another, or recommend a 40 to my best friend. I would always recommend MDA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

P.S MDA website www.gt40uk.com

P.P.S I am very biased though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Looking for GT40 MK I, Thanks, Jim

Jim and JP,

I will also look at MDA as a possibility, as you are not the first to mention it.

Michael

JOSEPH;

Thanks! BEAUTIFUL color!!!!!! I like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You've got mail!

Michael

Looking for GT40 MK I, Attn: Hershal

Hershal,

Thanks so much for your call the other night. I really appreciate your accounts of your experiences in building the RF cars and others. Your helpfulness has certainly been an influential factory in my continuing search for a car.

Thanks again, and I look forward to talking again.

Michael Hampson

Re: Looking for GT40 MK I,

Hello Guys, J P And Jim Thanks for your kind words. Its good to see we are appreciated. It does take time to reply to every e mail and enquiry, and as the other Manufacturers will agree, it is very difficult to sort through who is and who isnt a genuine client. I have twenty charity calls a week and up to twenty e mail and day requesting brochures and pictures to be sent which you know will end up on some fourteen year olds bedroom wall!!

It has always been a concern of mine since working for GTD that customer service comes first. I had done most of the shows for GTD, both home and in Sweden. Even at GTD where they exported a great deal of their cars, you had to deal with the customers on a day to day. There was no e mail only fax. A lot slower, and messier, but it got the job done. Without the customer none of us exist. Which is why it is important to be imformative, accurate and honest.

Thanks to all that have supported MDA, we have been seeling parts and upgrades for GTD's for over ten years. Our launch into the Body &amp; chassis package market place was a natural progession.Although not a GTD chassis derivetive, it is technically a hybrid version of the good points from development, both my own and customers. Now we offer the Mark Two Body with our MDA chassis. Stay tuned as our next offering will be announced in October. Hte website will be updated to include the MK2's see manufacturers announcements.

Finally after much work to get the Mark two's to Goodwood, they were delivered to GT40 Genius Chris Melia who (with a little help from me) Transformed these cars into superb creations, accurate, detailed and pure exitment. I cant wait to finish the Black car! I gonna wait for the feds to go for tea before I take it out on my local test track! The Blue car is now running again, an MSD unit replaced the tired old iginition. The probem is not time to play! One again, Chris an excellent job and hope America was fun.

Oh and they were in fact complete cars not models as some think. They all had engines and gearboxes exhausts the lot. They were completely drained of all fluids, but still ran before that! I would ahve suggested that they had the engines and gearboxes removed to lighten the loaded weight by 350 kilos each, and to prevent overcentre weight bias, but they went ahead. Only the helicopters adn God could see they had an engine with exhausts!! Take a Look!

All the best

Mark Sibley
MDA

Attachments

• 21636-MVC-015F.JPG
    21636-MVC-015F.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 330
Re: Looking for GT40 MK I, Attn: Hershal

Michael,
You have mail.
Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MWGT40

Supporter
Re: Looking for GT40 MK I, Attn: Hershal

Mark,

Is the Picture section of the MDA website supposed to be MDA cars or general GT40 photos? I ask because I recognise at least one of the cars as Andrew Fordyce's stunning GTD!

Martin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back