What year for Audi 016

Can anyone tell me the years of production for the Audi 016? I have a trans from a 1986 coupe but it is described as 093 in the Haynes manual (selector shaft is straight out the back of the gearbox).

Apparantly the 016 has the selector on the left hand side- am I correct?- just want to confirm this before I go hunting for one

Thx

chris

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Chris,

Could not help but help a fellow boy from Northern Ireland.

The Audi box you have is suitable except that the gearchange would stick out the back of the carand would look "yuck".

The OI6 change sticks out the left hand side but is easily changed to the right hand side thus making the right hand gear change easy to manufacture. A alternative is the A8 2 wheel drive box called the OIE which is a 6 speed and a great piece of work.

Best wishes,

Robert Logan

Thx to you both (and Rob- its raining here in NI- ur not missing any good weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

One other thing: Why is it necessary to move the gearchange to the righthand side? Is it for space reasons i.e. shape of chassis or something to do with LHD or RHD?

Thx again

chris

Ive been doing my homework on what gearboxes Audi have used. The Haynes manual on Audi 100/5000 from 1991-1997 states that both the 012 and 01E were used on this model- no mention of the 016.

Also the 012 was used in 80/4000 model from 86-90 (and later probably). From looking at a couple of 80's I've noticed that the shift rod seems to exit from the RIGHT side of the gearbox.

I would guess that the 012 is probably the most common gearbox to be in scrapyards nowadays- just wondering if anyone had used it- I cant find a mention of it on this forum.

One other thing- I assume that 012/01E/016 refers to the 1st 3 digits on the side of the gearbox- is this correct?

Thx

chris

Back