Suspension Question

A foolish question, if you please. We just received a GTD frame and Melia body with some chrome plated suspension bits. I've believed for years, and the forum advises me, no chrome over weld joints. I have read, in every detail, thoughts on GT40 front suspension and some time ago another option came to my mind. Upon measuring, I believe a VW beetle twin torsion bar layout is very close to a fit. If it does, the problems solved would be numerous, quite aside from first cost. Walking past the stigma of German parts on a British design (Audi transaxle), does anyone have any sage observations? I'd surely appreciate a word of wisdom.
Thanks and best to all,
Ted Buckland

I believe that you will find lots of negative comments about chrome suspension bits. However I think you will find many GTD's with the chromed arms. I have them on my car. This car has been used on the road and has well over 4000 track miles on the chromed bits. No cracks and no problems. What is the story on all of the UK hill climbers and the chromed pieces supplied by GTD?

Chrome suspension pieces were discussed here. Note how I am being compassionate in advising use of the search function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have decided that chrome suspension pieces are fine for a light car like a GT40 that will only occasionally see track duty. I would opt for a different finish if this were a dedicated race car.

As for torsion bar suspension, the reason it is on a VW is because it is cheap to manufacture, not because it's very good. I would avoid it like the plague.

You'll find the ball joint VW front suspension is set up to run positive camber (stock settings) and is not adjustable enough to reach even 0 degrees. Wider tires make the settings worse since the tires tend to wear on the outer edges. It would take some cutting and welding or a big ole hammer on the torsion arms to get 0 or negative camber.

There are disk brakes available to fit VW suspension, but they are a lot smaller than typically used on GT40's. Hub selection is also limited with choices being 4 or 5 lug VW, or Chevy pattern 5 bolt..unless you use a wheel adaptor or completely different upright/spindle.

I have a customized, turbocharged '74 Bug, and love it as a daily driver. With larger sway bars, wider tires and wheels, etc., it runs and handles handles quite well. I don't think I'd use it's front suspension on a GT40 though.

Back