Brighton Speed Trials, 13th Sept

Malcolm

Supporter
After the track day, this event gathers the most GTDs in one place. Normally up to about 10,000 spectators come to watch the cars blast down the sea front so why not join them?

This year we have 11 drivers and 9 cars entered. New drivers include Andrew Bussy, sharing my car, and James Phillips (aka JP) who appears to have entered a 5.4 ltr GTD. What the hell happened to his MDA? Or maybe he did enter an MDA and that is why he has a 2 second handicap when the standard GTD handicap is 1.25 seconds! Only time will tell? Maybe he is just building up the excitment in preparation for a bit of ass kicking. Come and find out!

Paul is very keen to get into the 11's (as we all are, allowing for realism!), he has been so close in the past.

I am using my new engine for the first time in competition but am hoping the old dunlop tyres haven't faded too badly in storage.

Julian has his new Hoosiers and Andrew his new Avons. With simialr BHP this will be quite close to an even playing feild for tyre testing as we can get. No corners though.

To all drivers (MARTIN W PLEASE NOTE) get there early if you want to keep your support car and trailer nearby. Suggest pre 7 AM arrival time.

For racing buff's how about coming to see Gerry Marshall compete in his Vauxall Firenza aka Big Bertha! And in our class too. Also many vintage and historic cars present as well as lots of bikes.

See you there

Malcolm

PS for the avoidance of doubt please note that the GTD cup, ie the Dave Wilson Memorial Trophy is awarded to the fastest GTD who is in class 8. B&H MC members in the handicp are not eligible under B&H MC rules. Sorry.

PPS where is my oily rag?

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Don't think I'll make that one, but have a question.

I obviously don't understand, but why do you have handicaps for a speed trial? If I brought a sherman tank, can I have a 2 hour handicap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Max

Hello -

The handicap at Brighton is as much as anything a part of history, it is a class that allows those Brighton & Hove members who would not normally compete or do not hold an 'A' Licence, come and join the fun and have a go.

The class has to encompass many different types of machinery and the timing adjustments in theory allow a person in say an Austin seven (or MDA for that matter) compete fairly against an Allard or say a GTD. The actual time adjustments are made by a committee using loads of historic data and are generally quite fair. There are always exceptions to the rule though as I found out in my first year when I was in the handicap against a little Datsun, with a Bloody Great Chevy under the hood that was a '9 or 10 second bracket competitor' (whatever that meant).

Either way, class or handicap, the day is always a GREAT DAY with thousands of spectators turning out to watch.

Oh and by the way, my first years Brighton was in Malcolm's Gulf GTD40 with me posting an unadjusted 12.95 in the handicap to Malcolm's class and trophy winning 12.96... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Brighton%202000%20J40GT.JPG

Guess what guys! My car aint ready. Blame Quaiff and Triargo!! No gearbox parts or wheels means that this year I will be obliged to let you win, but only this once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, I will be entering the M coupe! Should be fun, especially since that bloody trench is still in the road!! I hope they will move the course up the road a bit.

And for those who are hanging around Brighton after the event please feel free to stop by, having a bash!! Only 5 mins from the front by car. Loads of food and drink.

Can't wait to see if Paul gets that 11 sec run though! Good Luck and lets pray for a Force 6 Westerly!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

MWGT40

Supporter
Chaps,

I am not sure if I will be there either. Like JP, I definitely will not make the Lydden date because of the unanticipated mid-season engine rebuild, but it now looks like the car may not be ready for Brighton either (which will be a great shame). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Keep your fingers crossed for me and, Malcolm, if I can get there, I will try to get there early for once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Malcolm, you will not believe this, but the solicitor acting for me on my new house purchase (due to exchange contracts tomorrow morning) is none other than your driver Andrew Bussey! Small world or what!

Martin : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Sorry to hear of your problems with the engine keeping you out of competition, Martin. However pleased to see you have good counsel for your property transactions, (just note it is Bussy not Bussey!) but I will be having words with him actually having clients other than myself! Clearly not keeping him busy enough.

I wonder if that hurricane hitting Bermuda about now will impact the speed trials. If it crosses the Atlantic in typical fashion then it may create that desired for strong SW wind which will help times.

Malcolm

MWGT40

Supporter
Gary,

I decided to have it rebuilt to pretty much the same as Robin Batt's Yellow Peril, but running my Holley 750 double pumper instead of Webers as per Robin's car.

Thus I have retained the Victor Junior heads as before but upgraded my rods and swapped my hyraulic roller camshaft for a solid lifter camshaft.

Output should be up from 360 BHP to between 400 and 430 BHP which is fine for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Martin

Hi all -
Malcolm informed me that he was getting his 'oily rag' out soon, so Roy & I mooched over to Progress Engineering in Kent for some pre Brighton checks today -

DynoBack.JPG

See also the Video Section of the Club Web Site as I have uploaded a new vid - not much action but the sound was music! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back