ROARING FORTIES GT40...#43

From here on out I will only post on this thread about my car and all the things I do to it. Angelo(frknfast) has a good idea. I think this way when someone wants to know about my car they can just dig up this thread and check out the newest additions. It can't hurt advertising either cause everytime this thread comes up the ROARING FORTIES name will be right there in front.
So to start with here is the link to all of my previous post just in case some of you folks want to catch up on the last few years.. http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/dosearch.php

Well now, to start with I just finished installing an Audi 3U trans in the GT. I wanted to get a few miles on it before I posted the results. When I had the 5N trans in my GT the RPM's were 3600 at 75MPH. Now it's much better, at 75MPH I'm only turning 2800 RPM's. I can live with this!
The first gear is virtually the same as the 5N trans but the other gears are all a little taller and I like it!.
The GT now is a lot quieter on road trips and my motor is not going to wear out as fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also I'm signed up for the annual Run & Gun compitition on October 16th thru the 19th. If any of you are up for a lot of fun and compitition please sign up and come on down.
Here is the web site if you're inclined to compete or just come to enjoy the fun. http://www.gessford.com/runngun/

Hersh:)

Attachments

• 22411-GT40 in the front yard 010.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 807
Sorry folk but I have no idea why the photo didn't print but here it is...

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 22412-GT40 in the front yard 004.jpg
    22412-GT40 in the front yard 004.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,551
Hi Hershal,
Where did you find a V3? When I searched all over the country I could never find one and I was told by a couple of Audi dealers that the V3 was used in Europe and only the 5N and the AAZ was inported into the states. I ended up getting an AAZ for my CAV which is supposed to have about the same gears as the V3. I have 365 HP and it has worked flawlessly for over 1200 miles so far. CAV can supply 3Vs with their cars.
Joe

Joseph,
I have a 3U box. I have no idea if that is the same as a V3 box. Anyway, I got my box from Germany. It was shipped over here along with several other boxes courtesy of Ron Earp. These boxes are as you mentioned only supplied to Europe. That's OK cause I've been told there are plenty to be had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have a total of about $800 invested so far in this trans and that includes shipping costs. Was the trans that you have supplied to you at an additional cost or was it included in the Turnkey Minus price? I was also curious as to what bits that were included with your kit. Such as Altenator, pullies, hoses and other items needed to install your engine and trans. I know that Roaring Forties supplies every item needed to install an engine and trans. That means belts pulleys, brackets, altenator, starter and every nut and bolt to fasten them with at no additional cost. When you get a turnkey factory built RF, you get all the required bits to make sure the engine and trans fits in without having to run to the parts store for them. I can also attest to the fact that it all fits without
any modifications too.
I forgot to mention that RF can also supply the customer with a trans of the customers choice and it is optional.
If you think this was a commercial then you would be correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
CAV is a good car but I believe that people need to do the comparision and make their choice based on value for them.
RF has produced factory built turnkey minus GT40s long before CAV did. People need to know this and they soon will.
To me it's just nice that a RF also sells their car in kit form so that guys like me can build it themselves. One more thing, I will be willing to bet that a completed RF will be less than a completed CAV with the same features...what do ya' think??

Joseph,
I forgot to mention that I had over 8,000 miles on the 5N trans. When it was torn down it was in very good shape. I'll keep it as a spare.

[ QUOTE ]
what do ya' think??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hersh, I think it's refreshing that you came right out and told everybody that your post about your car is a commercial. I think you did a hell of a job building your car, Hersh, and that your willingness to help others says a lot about the kind of guy you are.

I think I can't wait to get mine on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Mark,
I can't wait til your car is done. Folks, if you think my car is good then wait til this beauty hits the street. Mark has an acute case of being extremely anal on fitment. I was really impressed with his panel fittment and the general neatness overall. It almost made me want to do another so I could use some of his techniques.
Get at it Mark and get that beauty on the road!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Did you find that color you told me about?

Hershal,

That car looks suspiciously like the one I saw at the Knott's AHA show.......Seriously folks, this is a nicely executed build, but more impressive is the fact that he DRIVES it! About 800 mile round trip from Phoenix to Anahiem and back.

Ok, so the 016 transaxle appears to be reasonably durable judging by the mileage you've put on the first one. From your experience, is first gear of the 5N at all useful? The numbers indicate it is way too short for this light a car?

Nice to have met you (along with Gordon Levy and Robert Logan) at the Knott's AHA.

Andy

Hersh

Sounds like there is a need to get some more 3U boxes
imported. I know I want one since I intend to do a lot
of highway miles, and I'm sure others will want one too.
How can we make this happen?

MikeD

Well hello Andy!, I was wondering where you've been lately. Thanks for the comps ! I gotta say though, the Levy engine is incredible. This thing just keeps on pulling.
You are right about first gear unless you need to pull some stumps.I regularly use second gear and I'm fine with that. Andy, we look forward to seeing you again at Knotts next year cause we'll all be there...and I'm driving as usual.

Mike,
I'll talk to the source and see what we can do. If there is enough interest we might be able to ship a bunch at once.
This might even save us a few bucks. I wouldn't mind having another stting on the shelf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hershal,
My two fingers got twisted when I typed V3. It should have been 3V. The AAZ is very similar to the 3V and can be found here in the states for $500. I can shift mine at aprox. 35 mph from 1st. gear into second. Very useable.
The 5N is easer to find though.
Joe

Here is the ratios for the trans' we are talking about...

AAZ-Final-3:89 1st 3:60 2nd 2:13 3rd 1:46 4th 1:07 5th 0.86

3U Final-3:89 1st 3:60 2nd 1:88 3rd 1:19 4th 0.84 5th 0.64

5N Final-3:89 1st 3:60 2nd 2:13 3rd 1:36 4th 0:97 5th 0:73

I must have gotten real lucky with my Trans. Fran Hall told me of one for sale in salvage yard not to far from his home (Detroit) at a good price of $250.00. It was nasty greasy looking piece, but I think that all must have come from the engine. I cleaned it up replaced the Axle seals and installed it. After seeing all the discusion and numbers listed, I see mine is a 3U. Have no idea how it got to detroit. I have another box but it is buried back in the shop somewhere and when I get a chance I will check the numbers.

Vic

Victor, You got more than lucky, you were blessed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
To find one of those in the states is almost like winning the lottery. I'm glad you have one though.
I have recieved many private messages and e mails on or about these transmissions. I will do what I can to answertane all I can about the availability and what can and cannot be done to make a trans the way we need it to be.
Hey Mark Worthington!! if you have any more information in regards to your research on these transmissons please let us know.
Hey Ron Earp!!!, can we get more of these transmissions from Germany ? I have more than five requests for a 3U trans so if there is someone over there willing to send them to us. I'm sure we all will make it worth while for who ever gets them for us.

Hersh, you hit the nail on the head. I did win $50,000.00 on the Indiana Lottery with a scratch off ticket about 10 years ago and it only cost me a $1.00 for the ticket. Must be all the clean living and good beer.

Vic

Hi Victor,
Some people are just born lucky. You must be one of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only thing I ever won was a Case of oil and a floor creeper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not complaining mind you...I'm greatul to have won anything.
Soooooo, when is that GT of yours gonna come to life? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's the same story no matter what kind of car your cleaning for a show...Lots and lots of elbow grease. I just finished up an all day cleaning of the Princess, (my wife named her that), for the big show in Pintop Arizona. There is usually 700 or more cars there. I was the only GT last year and the car was swamped with spectators. It's a particaipate choice judging and you can't vote for your own class. I was three hours late last year and took third. Hopefully this year I'll be on time and get more votes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's also a 225 mile trip to get there. That means I get to clean it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif :grin Oh! wait, my wife is gonna be with me...If I'm real nice maybe she will help me instead of runnin' off to the craft booths.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll let all know how it went when I return.

Back