Pistons

We are told here in the UK that the good old L2249 TRW Forged pistons are no longer available. Please can anyone confirm that these pistons are no longer manufactured, and whether there is a viable alternative at similar cost. Frank

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Frank !!!

I work for Federal Mogul, who owns TRW. I will check into the availability of these pistons, or their replacement for them. I'll post my findings, as early as possible. Hopefully I'll know how many are available in all of their warehouses, by later today. Are there any specific undersizes you most generally require ???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Brian

Is this for a 289 or 302?

If it's for a 302 there's lot's of other excellent pistons
readily available. My experience with TRW pistons is that
they are HEAVY compared to state of the art.

MikeD

Hi Mike, The 2249 pistons have been around for years, and at one time they were "state of the art". However, they are cheap and do have a lot of material on the crown allowing us to machine them exactly to our size and compression ratio. I dont like the cheaper (hypo)alternatives and current "state of the art" is horrendously expensive. If we can find the equivelent to the 2249 for similar price, that would be good. Frank

289 and 302 Ford engines can use the same piston. When Ford went to the 302 engine, the rod length was changed and not the pin height to the top of the piston.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Frank !!!!!

I wasn't able to get any specific quanities today, but I was told that the 2249F pistons will still be available. There is also a LW2249F piston available, that is a CNC machined light weight piston, with taper wall pins, and duro-shield coating on the skirts. If you would like I can follow up on this, as my contact is out of town until next Monday. The person I spoke to today, doesn't think the std pistons will be discontiniued anytime soon. Let me know.

Thanks Brian

Back