Gearbox/ transmission

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Up to know I have not really looked at my current gearbox (Renault) except to use it to make sure the car moves forward and backward. I've had a chat with Trevor Taylor over the weekend who suggests I should do something sooner rather than later with the gearbox and the discussion ranged from ZF/Hewland and even Quaife. Looking in on this forum from time to time I've seen that people have been 'acquiring' Quaife parts for the Renault box. I've done a search which is turning up nothing (remember my computing skills have dictated I go on one of the government's IT training courses)so the big Q is who does what to whom and where? Who has the knowledge to sort this gearbox out or if necessary hold replacements? Where are they/you located in the UK? Please impart any gen you might have about what I can do. Trevor thinks I will strip 5th. very easily - God, if I ever go that fast to get it into top !!!
Dave M

David,

The upgrade you metion is a kit designed and supplied by a chap named Derek Bell. You can read details of the kit on his website http://www.bell-performance.co.uk/Gearbox%20Upgrade.htm

The kit is a special order & there is a batch being made at present. Your best bet is to get in contact with Derek & see how the land lies!

Basically the kit comes well reccomended, a number of club members have used this upgrade with very powerful engines & had great success.

If you want to keep the UN-1 box I beleive this is the best/only option! Saying that it's not cheap!

Hi David -
The data logging on Roy's 'A11GTD' indicated a 0 to 100 Mph time of 7.6s on the flat at Brighton this year. Not the 'grippiest' of places and into an 8-15 Mph headwind.

We were pulling off in 2nd gear thus saving a shift and were using AVON slicks. With the Derek Bell/Quaife conversion and the Quaife LSD combined, the Renault box becomes a very potent item.

Experience indicates the converted box is more capable for sprints and hill-climbs but for circuit work where there are fewer slow corner requirements - ZFs are equally capable (some may even say more so!)

Either way, modified Renault or ZF, you 'pays your money - you makes your choice'..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back