Porsche 944 transaxle

Hey guys,
I think I remember reading here once, (somewhere), that the ring and pinion gears in the 944 transaxle would interchange with the Audi 016, 5N. I've tried looking in the Search function but with no results. Does anyone know if this change is possible. If so, does it give a more favorable set of ratio's from 1st through 5th than the less popular 3Q, (I think this is the one that some guys are switching to, or maybe it's 3U) Whatever the case, I'd like to get fifth gear to pull rpm at around 60 mph down to about 22-2400 rpm. Any and all suggestions welcome.

It has been done but i cant remember who did it, i think the diff is a 3.88 in most 924/944 transaxles but if you are lucky and can find a 944 turbo s model, it has a 3.28 if i remember right.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Jim,

It has been done in the other dirrection (OI6 into 944) by a friend of mine here in Australia. We have a 944 single make race series. I would have thought that the reverse has to be possible.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
It is possible.

I've got my tranny heading to German Transaxle of America at 800-892-4327. These folks are knowledgable and will be checking mine out and making sure it can "Be all the transzaxle it can be". Don't know about pricing yet, but complete rebuilds are around $300 or so and I'm hoping this will be much less. I'm going to price the 944 gearing otion too to see what it looks like but it really doesn't help much. You still have a stump puller in first that won't do much for you unless your redline is over 7500 RPM. Which is a good reason for me to ditch this stroker and get another motor.....

R

We have found that the first, second, & third are the same in the audi and 944 box. Fourth and fifth are overdrive gears in the audi while fifth is overdrive only in the 944. We have installed fourth gear into the audi box and we believe it works much better. Give me a shout after Run and Gun and I will give you the ratio. I am busy this week getting ready to leave. We will be running this gear combination at Run and Gun. We we'll also be in the Indianapolis area the Oct.25 & 26. Would like to see some GT40 guys. Stop by and say hi.

I was wondering how to determine what gear ratios my box has. Its a 5N, but I've been reading that there are different letters that tell the ratios of the tranny. I'd like to gear the final drive ratio to put the rpm at 65 mph around 2000-2200 rpm. If it takes a final drive ration of 3.25:1 or so than would that help it at all. Does anyone make ring and pinion gears with different ratios for these boxes, if so who sells them. Maybe we could find a shop that make gears and everyone who runs Audi boxes could order a run of them, would help on the cost. Could also be quite a few sets being made. Geeze, I'd buy two for myself.

Jim Downard

Jim,

See my post (AJS) in the manufacturers corner under "01E 6 speed in RF." These are the ratio's "net" (diff x gear) for 1st thru 5th. Should make the math easier.
Audi 016 5N 14.80, 8.75, 5.59, 3.99, 3.00
If you need more details (# of teeth/gear, R&P, etc.), drop me a line.

Andy

I have my Audi 016/5N box at the rebuilder's now. He has several Porsche 944 boxs in various states of repair around. Has anybody actually swapped 5th gear in the Audi box? If so is it a straight swap or are there other parts involved. If anybody had done this before please advise. Thanks

Back