rear window

does anybody have a good solution for the webers thru lexan rear window problem?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Geeteedee,

As far as I know, you have two options;

1. lower the engine & trans in the chassis

or

2. Post your webers to me & stick with a four barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ben Miller here on the forum installed a double-humped scoop from a Cobra helicopter on his rear window to allow the stacks to come through. You might contact him or do a search for a pic of his car for ideas.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A combination of engine/gearbox lowering, shortening the velocity /intakes pipes of the rear 2 webers, and using a glass window (in my case) instead of 'anything' plastic.
I reached what I think was the limit of lowering the complete unit and my reasoning for that would be a sump protruding below the car and drive shaft angles (which seem to be currently almost neutral). Any further lowering may need a dry sump or a specially cast manifold (the latter being a horrendous cost option) I removed the spacers under the webers (which resemble paxolin but I don't know what they are made of- is it Phenolic, or is that an instrument in the brass section - I don't have a clue). The lowering involved some cross member mods and a the rear cross member above the gearbox (which also has the rear anti roll bar mounts) was remade as well. While it was in the early stage I covered the forward and side engine bay in 18g tp4 as I'd heard some reports of 'forward moving' fumes (especially in the gear change area) coming into various cars. In fact the first GTD I was a passenger in, while some oaf called Simon tried to scare me down in in Poole (GB) was a fume trap. He said that all sports cars were like that. I think he was nicknamed Simple Simon but I cant remember his other name.
I guess that lowering will also help a little on handling but I've nothing to guage it by as I've never driven a 'cooking' GTD. (is there one?)
These mods have all been done on mine and I can try and get you some pictures if you so desire.
Dave M

If you have got clearance problems below the rear window using webers then your engine is way too high ! Using tall trumpets on IDAs on Robins car, the top of the trumpets are still level with the bottom of the bulkhead window, and we have clear rearward vision over the top of the carbs. Frank

thanks a lot. if anyone have some pics on a scoop or some thing that look ok i would be happy , i am planning a reverse scoop in lexan but it may be too turbulent for the carbs to work ok any experiense folks????????

Back