Porsche G50

Kevin,

If you are willing to buy one in the U.S., and have it shipped, here's some places to look.
All have websites, if you search under the following names.

1. Ian's Euro Parts...I bought my G50 from Ian. GREAT GUY!

2. Carquip

3. Supertec

4. Perfect Power

5. Los Angeles Dismantler/LA Porsche

6 Powerhaus

7. Powerhaus II

8. Renegade Hybrids

As of yesterday, a few of these shops had G50s in stock.

Various G50s, G50-50s, G50-52s are available, with

or without LSDs.

Bill

Kevin Box

Supporter
Ok now I need more info
What is the difference between G50/01 G50/03 G50/50
Which is the best trans. What are the ratios & final drive ???
This probably has been posted somewhere else but I could
not find it.
Also I need some info on clutch / flywheel combo.

Kevin,

The final drives are all 3.44:1, unless you get VERY lucky.
Porsche Racing made a very few taller sets, but I haven't
been able to find one in two years of trying.
The G50-01(1987) began the original series, which pretty much all had the same ratios. The G50-50(1989) was installed in turbos, has the strongest intenals and case, of all, and has higher ratios than the G50. The G50-52 has the same ratios as the G50-50, without the beefier internals and case.
There are quite a few gearsets available for the G50, here in the USA. Most modifications involve a taller 1st, 4th, and 5th. Unfortunately they aren't cheap! Your best bet, is
to look for a G50-50, and if you can't find a good one, a G50-52.
If you really need the actual gear ratios of the different boxes, I can dig them up. Let me know, via e-mail.
Unless you are planning to race the car, or use a high horsepower engine, stock clutch parts should be fine.

Bill

Bill
You seem to know alot about the porsche transaxles, how does the 6spd g50 rate in comparison to the rest?? And would you happen to know the dimensions
from axle flange to axle flange and center of axle flanges to the bottom once inverted?? Thanks.

Eric,

During my "research phase", I was lucky enough to contact the right people, who gave me pretty much every scrap of info available on the G50 series(5spd).
Regarding the 6spd, I did look into installing one in my car, but discovered that it wouldn't fit, without some major chassis modification(too long). That idea stayed on the drawing board, and I never researched the 6 spd gearbox any further. Sorry, I can't help you there, as I don't know much useful information about that gearbox.
Are the axle flange measurements that you need for the 5spd
or 6 spd?
I can take a tape to my gearbox this morning, and let you know on the 5 spd axle flange measurements, if you would like.

Bill

Hi Kevin
I've got a G50/52 i'm tempted to sell,
Thats if you want to make me a reasonable offer?.
Please enquire about shipping costs first though as i'm
in the UK.
Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric,

From flange to flange, 10" + or -
Flange to bottom of gearbox, 6 1/2" + or -
Flange to bottom of slave cylinder and bellhousing, 8 1/2" + or -
Sorry about the guesstimates. It's hard to get a tape in there for an accurate measurement!

Bill

I routinely cruise E-Bay for parts. Came across several Porsche trans for sale.
1st. 1997 G50 6 sp. High bid of$1500 with a buy it at $2500.
It has a broken bellhousing.
2nd. 1984-88 944 LSD 5 sp. (Rare) 9 bids at $255 now but reserve not met. Its not listed how much.
3rd. G50 5 sp. currently at $910 with no reserve. Probably the best of the lot and probably the cheapest.
Check them out. Good deal for someone out there.Search for Porsche transmissions
Bill

Eric,

The G50 on eBay, looks to be a 1987 model(short rear cover), which will fit in a GT40 with ease. Swapping the vent for the drain plug,is about all you'll need to do. Currently $1025 w/no reserve.
If you contact the seller, and can get the serial #, I can tell you more about it (model year, LSD, ratios, etc.)

Bill

I have actually been eyeing that broken one, except i am a little concernend about the shafts being bent as the way it was hit is kind of ugly. I was planning on casting a new bellhousing part to match a ford and welding it to the broken case, $1500 is a little steep if the shafts are bent and i think the whole case is going to be badly distorted so i would need to buy a new one anyway. But out of curiosity, the serial # isG50011JO

Eric,

The gearbox is an early 1988 G50-01. Sorry, "normal" diff, no LSD! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1st-3.500, 2nd-2.069, 3rd-1.409, 4th-1.125, 5th-0.889

Final drve 3.44:1

Bill

Back