Traction control

Is anyone familiar with Davis Technologies? They are a North Carolina firm, who builds an extremely small traction control unit. The "black box" does not require the use of any external wheel speed sensors, etc. Not cheap, but what is, these days.

Interesting, how does that work without wheel sensors then?

Like the sound of it! Anymore detail? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards,

J.P

Traction Control

It appears they sell mostly to drag racers who are cheating...

Their cheapest (non-hidden) unit will be US$2500 when it becomes available. I would think that this could be done fairly cheaply with an accellerometer and speedometer signal.

JP,

A good question! I was hoping that someone could tell me.
They must work, as various sanctioning bodies have banned them(NASCAR,NHRA)! Some of their units are smaller than a cigarette lighter! High tech, or what?

Bill

Hi all -

Interesting stuff! I suspect banning all TC from certain disciplines, (whether they are effective or not) is an easy reaction to what many would consider 'not playing fair' in competition.

My guess is that they could measure rpm against accelerometers, or even gps and work it out from that. Not quite rocket science but very close I suspect.

Having said that, if they ever read this they'll probably be laughing themselves silly at my opinion.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last year rumor was that some of the NHRA Pro Stock Teams had custom made MSD boxes (by MSD) that had complete digital traction controls inside and did not need any external sensors. This is because traction control is banned. How does it work????

In each gear there is a maximum rate of acceleration of the motor (e.g. rate of rise of RPM). Any faster then that rate and the tire would be considered to slip. Thus the use tweaks the rate of change of RPM value in each gear until the optimum values are found. Pretty clever idea I thought.

Gary,
Davis sells their traction control boxes, installed in an MSD ignition box. The unit itself, is about 2"L x 1 1/2"W x 3/8"Thick.
These things have upset the racing establishment to the point of the development of electronic traction control detection equipment to give pre-race inspectors a heads up.
Apparently, a lot of NASCAR guys used to have them, until stiff fines were imposed. Some still use them on road courses, when they can get away with it. Their comments, from an independent source, are all positive, albeit anonymous!

Bill

Back