GT40 Mark V #1100 for sale in The Netherlands

In our qest to gather information on GT40's I ran into a advertisement on www.mobile.de.

There is a Dutch classic & sportscar company who's selling a GT40 Mark V.
Year of production: 1986
Production no.: #1100
Price: € 150.000,-

Just FYI...
Absolutely far beyond my budget /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DE38501.JPG

DE38502.JPG
DE38503.JPG
DE38504.JPG
DE38506.JPG
DE38505.JPG
DE38509.JPG

Already sold...
Just made a call to make an appointment.
Wanted to make some pics and see it from a feet distance.

He wasn't willing to tell where it went.

Howard Jones

Supporter
MKV? This looks like a MK1 with a big block in it and no roof. I can't tell what the gearbox is but a lot of the engine bay looks like a Ford car. Does anybody know this car? Very interesting. $175,000, I wonder what this will sell for if it is a converted Mk1. Saber conversion? Who is J.W. engineering?

Not suprised its sold at that price - its the cheapest Mk V I've ever seen and getting scarily close to replica money - there's a GTD for EUR 89000 (over USD 100000 !) on the same site

It looks like a Portugese number plate - by the way : Howard - is your JW query serious ? - if so I am so lost for words that you must have got lost to even be on this site - that is a what genuine GT40 chassis plate looks like !!!

They mention that this is the first of 25 produced GT40's by Safin/Willment.

Mobile.de, the site where the GTD is posted is a German E-Bay clone.

Some more pics:
DE385010.JPG

Sorry but I can't rotate it for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DE38503.JPG

It is a Safir car with a zf box. The engine has Cleveland valve covers on it so I am guessing that the engine is a Boss 302.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If this is an early Safir car, it may be one of the open-top versions that Peter Thorp built for himself at the beginning of the run of GT40 Mark Vs. If it has a big=block engine, would it have a ZF gearbox? Most likely, a car with a big-block motor would need a T44 transaxle to cope with all that torque...wouldn't it?

Jim

I agree with Pat...looks like Cleveland valve covers...
so it's either Boss 302 or 351C based.

I'm sure you could mate a ZF with a big block...
you'd just have to be very cautious to keep it alive.
I've seen mention of FE/CAV conversions...wonder what
trans they are using. By the way...the Porsche experts
claim they can handle over 500 hp with upgraded G50s,
but I don't know anyone who has tried one with a
torque monster.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether Superformance comes through with an "affordable" T-44.
Wouldn't that be cool!

MikeD

The CAV/FE is using a ZF. Also my car makes as much or more torque as a big block (at 600 ft-lbs) so we will see how the ZF holds up, etc.

Howard Jones

Supporter
JOSVDP, Comeon be nice, There must be something even YOU don't know. I wonder how many of the other 1000 members on this forum know it all. I come here from time to time get information so that I can build my car and maybe even gain a little knowledge. Sorry if I offended you with my complete lack of same. I don't have hundreds of dollars worth of books on GT40's history, all my money is going into my GTD, or for that matter a real one in my garage.
My 10 year old daughter says "Mean people suck."
My apologys in advance to the moderator.

And my apologies to you too - I know a tiny fraction of most of the people here and try to learn - this morning I'm learning from your daughter - she's right

Howard Jones

Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif OK, Then I've found a new friend! Oh I looked it up, John Wyer. You are right, I should have got that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back