Mark IV

I was presented an opportunity to purchase an original MarkIV. Any ideas about value? Asking price is $1 million US. Thanks Wayne

There are six original MK-IV's existant. I personally know all the owners. None are for sale.
J3 Nick Saprano
J4 George Stauffer
J5 Henry Ford Museum
J6 moi
J7 Steve Volk
J8 Fred Simione

Other J chassis exist, and perhaps it is one of those:
(From Legate's book):
J9: Built to CanAm specs & never raced
J10: Built to CanAm specs & crashed. Restored to MkIV spec
J11: Spare chassis, later built to MkIV spec
J12: Spare chassis, later built to MkIV spec

I don't think any of these later cars would be worth $1 million. I do think J5 is easily worth $1 million, even in its current non-running state and despite having only run one race in its entire career :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Steve,

I agree! Why would anyone want a car that only really ran for 24 hours? I mean what kind of reliability is that? :eek: Even Yugos have more miles on them than J5.....

BTW, Why did Yugos have heated rear windows?

To keep your hands warm while you push! :grin:

Jim,
What should scare you is the car he was offered was J6! Have you checked the garage lately? :shocked:

Rick :grin:

Steve
J9 isn't a MK-IV
Inspite of what Legate says J10 Does not exist. It is a pile of poorly cloned parts.
The cars that call themselves J11&J12 are replica's build on J car not MK-IV tubs.
If J5 were to come to market which it never will it would easily bring $20 Million Dollars. The Ford that beat Ferrari? The only one ever built? (The MK-IV is the only one built by Ford at their world headquaters in Dearborn, USA) The only car made in America EVER to win LeMans? I bet it would go for more.
Rick
As I had a nice drive in it today I think I put it back in my garage but as you know at our age we do tend to forget.

J9 isn't a MK-IV
I knew that.

Inspite of what Legate says J10 Does not exist. It is a pile of poorly cloned parts.
I was wondering about Legate's statement about "remaining undamaged chassis section restored." Sounds like another case where someone took a little bit of a real car and built something around it & called it a "restoration." Kind of like when I found an old alternator bracket that was a spare leftover from my '65 Mustang and said "that looks like a GT40." Or the guys who recreate dinosaurs from a single bone... Anyway, whatever it is, I don't think it's worth $1M.

The cars that call themselves J11&J12 are replica's build on J car not MK-IV tubs.
And I don't think they're worth $1M.

If J5 were to come to market which it never will it would easily bring $20 Million Dollars. The Ford that beat Ferrari? The only one ever built? (The MK-IV is the only one built by Ford at their world headquaters in Dearborn, USA) The only car made in America EVER to win LeMans? I bet it would go for more.
I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for that much. Out of my price range for sure :)

What did that lost Daytona Coupe end up selling for? I think it was a couple of million. There are about as many real MkIVs as there are real Daytona Coupes, so you might be able to draw some conclusions about estimated value from that... I give the MkIVs extra credit points for their exotic construction.

Steve
It's the history. I'm not saying J6 is worth anything like that but I do think J5's history makes it unique and that is very hard to value. Not too long ago 1075 went for about 10 million $. It subiquently sold for much less but today I bet it would bring close to 10 again. Double LeMans winners are very rare but there are others and this isn't the one that beat Ferrari. Gurney/ Foyt, the Duece waved the flag, the first time someone sprayed the champaine. The Cobra coupe's are cool and rare but J5 is the rarest of them all.
BTW the last Cobra coupe went for 4.5 Million.
Best

I won't argue with your comment, as I agree with the "All American" aspect, however I do not want to take away honors or credits from p1046, which happens to be the first FORD GT40 I ever rode in and holds a place dear to my heart. By the way, I have a Lola t70 value question, and I would very much appreciate your opinion on something. I will ask you by private message and include my e-mail should you wish to respond. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
There are six original MK-IV's existant. I personally know all the owners. None are for sale.
J3 Nick Saprano
J4 George Stauffer
J5 Henry Ford Museum
J6 moi
J7 Steve Volk
J8 Fred Simione

[/ QUOTE ]

This is inaccurate.

I'm just wondering if there are any MK IV experts that can correct the post, that's all. I never know anything when somebody asks a question so when I do find a post that requires modification to be correct, I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself !

Back