Front and Rear Tire Sizes?

Dave,

As the recent purchaser of 2064 with the wide flares as on your car, I've got two quick questions. Where did you get those wheels (Jongbloed?) and is that steering wheel center one of the UK manufacture run that were sold earlier this year?

BTW, beautiful execution on the car. I'm discussing conversion to the electric waterpump setup with ERA and retrofitting the alu radiator assembly (but the brass looks classic).

Chuck Ward

Hey Chuck,
Congratulations on your purchase!
I had a wheel alignment done on mine yesterday and have put 275 miles on it since then.

The electric water pump has been working great.
I have the sensor for the controller inserted as far into the block (where the thermostat used to be) as it will reach. I notice that as engine temp increases to about 190, the pump will speed up and the temp gauge will quickly move up to 200 and just as quickly back down to about 170. The amount of water at 200 is very small. Average temp of water moving through the engine is probably about 180.
Plus, there is no water pump pulley sticking though the firewall. No overheating problems at all.

My wheels. It's my understanding that Bill Jongbloed made 3 or 4 sets of wheels in the early 90's using a BRM type center casting (supplied from someone else), and his spun aluminum rims. I purchased mine from a fellow in Texas that had an ERA car on order, but had to cancel it. He had the wheels in his attic until I purchased them a few years ago.
The wheel widths are as I listed. The diameters on both front and rear when I purchased them was 16".
Tire selection for a 12" wide, 16" diameter wheel was non existant. So I tracked Bill Jongbloed down (the Internet is a wonderful thing!) and had him spin a set of 17" rims for the centers I had for the rear wheels.
You can talk to Peter at ERA, but I understand that ERA purchased the molds for these particular BRM type centers.

Jongbloed also has a BRM type wheel that they cast magnesium centers for. My centers are aluminum. If I recall, price for a new magnesium/spun alumninum wheel a couple of years ago was about $800.
Visit Jongbloeds Internet site at www.jongbloedwheels.com

You are correct on the steering center. It is very nicely made.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the data. I'm resealing the driver's gas tank this weekend (top is seeping) and need to catch up with Peter on Monday anyway. Good chance to get his thoughts, but he keeps steering me toward staying with the 15's and using hand-grooved Avons.

I unfortunately don't have 100 miles since acquiring between work and reg/title wait. How did you do your title in PA?

Chuck

Back