Water pumps

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
Does anybody know whether the water pump on a 351 Cleveland has a standard bolt pattern?
I've just removed mine and it looks exactly like the water pump on my '71 Mustang.

From High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange by George Reid:
[ QUOTE ]
The 351C engine, introduced in 1970, was fitteed with the D0AZ-8501-E water pump with a left-hand inlet, just like Boss 302, 302, and 351W engines from 1970 and up. The only real difference in these water pumps is flow rate. They are virtually interchangeable otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pumps on a cleveland eng also fit a 429-460 and due to all different acc drives - year of production etc almost all aftermarket pumps will come whith what looks like a lot of bolt holes-patterns.

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
The 351C engine, introduced in 1970, was fitteed with the D0AZ-8501-E water pump with a left-hand inlet, just like Boss 302, 302, and 351W engines from 1970 and up. The only real difference in these water pumps is flow rate. They are virtually interchangeable otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you believe it!
I'm fitting an electric water pump and need a cover where the water pump was. I had a water pump from a '68 302 cut down and blanked off, the guy did an excellant job it was a work of art (thanks Brian) but when I tried to bolt it to the block I found out that the bolt patterns were different. The bolt pattern for the '68 matched the ford small block family from 221 to 351W but the 351C is different.
I'm now having a 351C waterpump modified to act as a cover. If anyone's thinking of adding an electric water pump to their 221 to 351W I know where there's a waterpump cover!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There has been a few changes in recent years also. I know the late 80's early 90's Mustang timing cover and pump are different then the 94-95 Mustang (uses a short pump and different pattern). I will mention that the "Hot Rod" Ford water pump is a CW rotation short pump that gives about 1.5" of extra clearance in the front and bolts on the "standard" timing cover. The aforementioned 94-95 pump and cover are shorter versions of the CCW rotation (EFI) pump.

Back