302 SVO - anyone care to guess the max torque?

I'm trying to find out the max torque for my new engine. It's the 'GT40 spec' ford svo, rated at 345 BHP.

I beleive there are a few other forum members using this motor, does anyone know the torque figure?? or even better have a dyno plot??? an idea of max RPM would also be a help!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

A total guess for me would be 300 - 350 ft-lbs. Do they mention what RPM that the max power occurs. You can back out the torque at that RPM and then the max torque will be higher at ~1500 RPM below.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My guess is about 325lbs @ about 5000ish rpms, I have set my rev limiter to 6000rpms but these motors will make more power up to about 6500-6700 then the hyd lifters will limit power production beyond that. The reason for the guess is that all the people I know have different induction systems on their motors. I have a RPM performer intake with a holly 750 doublepumper on it. The motor pulls very hard right up to the rev limit cutout but I'm sure it has at least another 500 rpms to go. No dyno plot. Why not call FORD motorsport? the number is in their book. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

The attached link is to a dyno comparison of induction systems that are tested using the 345HP Ford crate motor. Interestingly, *their* dyno benchmark motor using a 625CFM four barrel showed 370HP @ 6000/385 lb-ft @ 4100.

Andy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Sorry Tony. The web address has been corrected. I got it from my build notebook the first time and it was wrong. It does look like they are in the process of updateing the site but the phone # still works.

AJS,

I have almost the same set up (performer RPM and 650 Holly). 6 months ago I bought 48 IDF Webbers with manifold. Would that add any more HP??!! I know it would look great but has anyone tried Webbers on this (Ford Crate 345HP) engine?!

Faili F,
I put one of the svo 345hp crate motors in my CAV. It has the svo aluminum X heads, 600 holly and a 9 qt Kevco baffled oil pan. I went from 0 to 100 with another CAV that had the same motor except it had the gt40 heads and 4 Webbers. Guess what? Both cars went nose to nose the whole way. I guess I saved 3 grand by not going the Webber rute.
Joe

Attachments

• 24312-motor-smaller.jpg
    24312-motor-smaller.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 273
[ QUOTE ]
AJS,

I have almost the same set up (performer RPM and 650 Holly). 6 months ago I bought 48 IDF Webbers with manifold. Would that add any more HP??!! I know it would look great but has anyone tried Webbers on this (Ford Crate 345HP) engine?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove a CAV setup with a 345 HP with webbers and it was very nice and quick. Good throttle response, etc.

Joseph & Gary,

Thanks a lot guys, that is exactly what I wanted to know. The 650CFM and Performer RPM runs great on this engine. I bought the webbers for it's look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to be honest. What is interesting is that the price of the webbers,$2500 is almost the same as the motor, $2990.
I could have bought 2 crate motors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gary, how do webbers run on your set up, do you have to tweek them at all? Also, what are you doing about the Vacuum for the boosters. I would really be happy if you can send me a few photos of the carbs. I know I will install the webbers sooner or later. At least I will be able to use the rear view mirror, right now all I see is the Holly and air cleaner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Fead give me a call I did some research of this subject when I was building my motor. I don't think that brake vac is a problem. Just more plumbing.

The car I drove was assembled by our Detroit area dealer (not me). His name is David Wagner and you can contact him at 313-323-0462 if need be. I am not sure the degree of tunning that was required, and this may have been performend by his engine builder. He handled the vacuum issue using a vacuum pump from a diesel car. These can be had new for ~$250.

Gary, thanks for the info (any photos?).

Howy, I call you this wekend to get more info

Thanks,

Faili,

I have Weber IDFs on my car. I have a vacuum pump for the brakes, which does a fine job but runs constantly at my house (6600 ft altitude) because it can't pull enough vacuum to cause the switch to shut it off. Not a problem, according to the manufacturer, as it is designed to be able to run constantly.

Initial tuning/jetting of Webers takes a little work, and my jets are not quite right yet, but the car still runs pretty darn good. Setting the idle is easy, even though you've got 8 barrels to mess with - I set them by ear when I had the car out in California in August and then checked the emission level with a Gunson Gastester - showed 3.4% CO (shooting for 3%). You really need to get a Synchrometer to get them in sync, but I don't think they're as fiddly as some people make them out to be.

Steve,

Thanks for the information. As I said before, I am gone do it. Now that the weather is getting rainy here, I have no excuse but to put them on.

Back