GTD Paint Colours

I have a GTD factory-built and painted car, and have been wondering how people identify or match the paint that GTD used when they weren't the one to specify it originally.
Does anyone know if it's possible to access the GTD archives for the details of individual cars (useful for more than paint colours!)?
Otherwise, how does one match an existing paint job?
I am about to fit a Gurney bubble and will need to re-finish the driver's door.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Tony Hunt

Attachments

• 24139-SmallGTD40.jpg
    24139-SmallGTD40.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 375
Tony, I wouldn't know about the actual color code but I do know that your car looks FANTASTIC! You could always take the door in for a computer color match when you pull it off.

Thank you, Kind Sir!
The door is staying firmly on, and the guys are going to have to fit the Gurney bubble in situ.
I have read some of the horror stories about taking weeks of fiddling with the hinge plates in an effort to regain the shutlines and don't want to go down that road thanks!
Regards,
Tony Hunt

I don't blame you there, I just assumed you were removing the door for the bubble work. I took my spare wheel cover in for a paint match.

My CAV 40 was ordered with Audi Lemans Blue. Any good paint shop with a computor match system should be able to get the colour right.

Vic

Attachments

• 24147-bump.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 292
My CAV 40 was ordered with Audi Lemans Blue. Any good paint shop with a computor match system should be able to get the colour right.

Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Vic,
Post another shoot of your Gurney bubble so we can see the whole thing. I still have not decided if I want to put one on my car. I fit o.k. now, but a helmet may require the bubble.

Hi Pat, hreres another view. Sorry about the first shot I don't know what went on there, and sorry about the dude in the pic (Fran Hall), you know what they say about H**** S***, It's everywhere and so is he.

Vic

Attachments

• 24155-new bumppic.jpg
    24155-new bumppic.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 352
Correction , had a Senior Moment / Brain Fade. The colour of my CAV is BMW Indy Blue not Audi. I stand corrected.

Vic

Your car looks very much like one of the first light weights that GTD did a few years back. Try contacting Mark Sibley and see if he remebers the car. The car I am thinking of had a nice article in one of the newspapers from the Poole area.

Pat,
It's a deep, metallic silver. The yellow is a standard GTD transfer (decal?) made of self-adhesive vinyl. As there is a bit of damage under the nose, I'm going to have to touch that up too!
Jasper, many thanks. I'll call them Monday morning.
Regards,
Tony Hunt

I showed a picture of your car to my Dad and he loved it. Haven't seen that scheme before, but it sure does look good.

Tony,
I know its not the best option, but if you know anyone, who works for something like Chips Away, they have pretty comprehensive colour books that you can hold up to the paint and get your match, it might help you to narrow it down, if people can't help.

Brett

Thanks, Brett.
I phoned P&K Panel in Poole this morning. They confirm that yes, they used to do all GTD's factory spraying on a sub-contract basis, and yes, they were familiar with the colours of my car. However, they destroyed all their records when GTD went under! I ask you! Good grief!
That said, they were otherwise very helpful and were able to confirm that all the finishes they applied for GTD were ICI 2-pack isocyanate paints and that it should be possible to match the colours from the standard ICI charts.
I also phoned Bodytone in Wokingham. They ONLY use ICI 2-pack paints, which require a lo-bake curing process. They are reasonably confident that we will find the correct shade from among the 2,500 silvers available (whimper!).
Unless anyone has the specific paint shade number for the particular silver that GTD used, I suspect that is as close as we will get for the time being.
I will post the final result once we have found the shades, for the benefit of other silver and yellow GTD owners.

By the way, Brett, where do you get tech info on your 302?
I am having extreme difficulty finding anything at all about my SVO.

Tony
Have you tried asking Ray Christopher direct? He may know what colour was specified and may still have records.

Back