Location of Engine Number

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where they put the engine number on late model 302W motors. I can't find it anywhere. The motor has all its accessories on it and you can hardly see any of the block at all.

Thanks

John

Define "engine number." I don't know if they changed things over the years, but on the earlier engines there's a 289 or 302 in the lifter valley and casting/date codes on the underside rear passenger side of the block (by the starter, diagonally opposite from the oil filter). If you've already looked there then Ford must have changed things...

John, I have an early 302 (1968) and the engine number is stamped on a flat boss on the left front of the block near the top. It is near the base of the distributor and can be obstructed by accessories like the alternator and such. They may have moved it on later motors.

To the best of my knowledge there are actually no engine casting numbers on late model 302 blocks, the early blocks have casting numbers as described behind the starter, the number refered to on the machined surface near the distributor is acually an assembly date code which usually goes away after the first decking of the block (which is an easy way to tell if the block has had been to the machine shop). Late model blocks, heads, etc. as far as I know get ink stamped numbers that go away as soon as they are painted or just with them surface rusting over time. Hope this helps.

Chris

The engine serial number (as opposed to casting numbers) is on the horizontal machined face at the top of block at the rear of the lifter valley (inlet manifold)and is easily visible without removal of any parts, Frank

Thanks for the info all. Steve, the number I want is the serial number. I need to provide it to the motor registry people. I'm still working on it.

Thanks

John

Is "NONE" an acceptable response? Most Ford engines don't have serial numbers.

I stamped my VIN number on the rear of the block where Frank says the serial number can be found. There was nothing there previously...

Ron Earp

Admin
None is acceptable for new blocks being sold though FMS and through engine houses. Mine has no number at all.

R

All

The puzzle has been solved. Without some help I never would have found it. In my case it punched at the left rear of the engine on the side of the web the bell housing mounts to. It is clear from what you all have said that there is no standard place Ford put these things if they put them on the engine at all.

Thanks all for your assistance.

John

Hi Brett

The number is W11C followed by a five digit number. I hope thats the serial number. The prefix above, I think, includes info about the build date which might be March 2001. I am guessing a bit though.

Regards

john

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
If the engine is out of a car previously registered in Australia it will have the "engine number" stamped on the block at the top rear of the engine b'tween intake manifold & bell housing. If it is a new block or a motor direct from the U.S it probably won't have this.
It's an"Australian thing" to have an engine number for vehicle registration purposes.
All other numbers are casting or manufacturing I.D's.
Assuming that this relates to your question.

I believe my motor was sourced from the US. So the number I have is probably effectively a build date or build date / serial. I guess it will do.

Thanks

John

Back