Rear Upright Bearing insertion

Has anyone had any trouble inserting the rear wheel bearing in the trunion of a RF. I've tried heating the trunion with a propane torch and placing the bearing in the freezer, still can't get it to fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey Rolf,
Don't worry, I'll put them in when I get there on the 19th.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had one go in real easy using the method you listed, the second was a real pain. I could never seem to get it just to go in and ended up having to take it out and then start over. Finally I heated it up really hot and then it went in with a bit of persuasion. I think I baked in the oven at 400F for about an hour, too. Kind of stunk up the house, but the bearing is in.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Rolf,

The correct method is to heat the upright and insert the bearing. We are always very careful not to over heat the upright as this can effect the heat treatment on the outer race of the bearing.

Great guy Hershal, traveling round the country helping and this is done on his own and without any requests by myself. He realy is a great amassidor for our company.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
I placed my upright in the oven and got it to around 225F or so. I then pulled it out just dropped the bearing right in while cooling the upright with damp towels. Worked great! I tried the torch method but I feel the heating is uneven and is not a good idea.

R

Ok, I used the oven method and the bearing just dropped in. What about the rear trunion though. It doesn't want to go through the bearing!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Now you can do the opposite.

Take the bearing and upright and put in the oven at like 140F. Won't hurt it, probably lower temp than it will see in everyday life.

Get your big cooler. Go to the supply house and get 15 lbs of dry ice. Put both trunions into the cooler under the dry ice and wait a few hours. (I had a dry ice joint literally across from my work so this was easy for me to get).

Then pull one out and drop it through. Or, get them properly pressed in. You don't want to pound them in or anything like that as it might damage that bearing and I bet it costs a bunch.

R

Rolf, how do you intend to explain that to the staff at your hospital!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, the part about explaining my dry ice needs to the hospital staff was too much . I took them to my local machine shop and they pressed them in no problem. It was scary as it went so smoothly I thought surely something must be wrong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The reason I went to a machine shop instead of heating the upright was because my upright has been powder coated and I was afraid that heating it would damage the finish.

Robert, could you please check with whomever casts your uprights for the rear of the car? My question revolves around temperature limitations - when I tried to put the bearing on one side, I know I heated that thing up to at least 350F, maybe higher. I want to know if I have damaged its integrity.

Thanks

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat,

We use a standard " T6 " heat treatment and temperatures of 350 F will not cause any molicular change. If you are worried than I suggest that you have the casting re-heat treated.

Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back