Roaring Forties #81

Fitting the body so I can install 4 point roll cage
gt40_1.jpg

G

Gary, yes the down tubes in the engine bay will also bolt in. It will bolt all three parts together,the main hoop,the factory part and down tubes. Simon

Nice job on the roll cage. Would like to see a back to front shot to see where you are mounting the cage in front. The shots you have look like it stops at the dash with somesort of angle bracket from the dash to the sill. I plan to put a cage similar, but I want to incorporate pull handles so that the passenger can help with ingress and egress without having to go through contorsions. One 40 owner I know has to show each person how to get in and out without putting pressure on the windshield pillar.That area takes a beating from people who don't know about low slung sports cars.
Bill

Bill, here is another angle. I may bolt another tube under to the chassis but not sure if it needs it right now. I installed the cage for the same reason as you ,one to keep the car off my head in case I get really stupid and to get my old butt in & out without replacing the glass if I pull to hard on the pillar.

Simon
RF #81
gt40_roll_cage.jpg

I like that cage, too. And I like the fact that it is in Houston; perhaps there might be an opportunity for me to swing by and have a look? I like the idea of having one, plus the benefits of getting in and out. Hopefully I will be finished getting the body lined out, and it would be an ideal time for a cage.

Pat, You can come by anytime you like. I don't know if you remember but you were so nice to let me see your car, helped me to decide on the RF. I'll be working on the GT tomorrow.
Simon

Thanks for jogging my memory! Good to hear from you. I've dedicated this weekend to making some progress on this thing, but I will call you later in the week.

Pat

Have been realy busy with work but have most of the paneling done along with steering rack and pedals.

Attachments

• 29748-GT paneling.jpg
    29748-GT paneling.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,206
Thanks Hersh,Wish I had more time right now but it's coming along. Next will be brakes & rotors, Wilwood 6 piston up front & 4 piston on rear. I'm also thinking of using a 930 turbo box unless someone can tell me why I should't. How do you like your new trans?
Simon

Attachments

• 29751-GT paneling 001.jpg
    29751-GT paneling 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,108
Simon,
The 3U trans is working good. I like the ratios alot. With the .64 5th gear it keeps the RPMs around 2600 at 75MPH.
As far as I know the G50/52 box is good and takes alot of power so you should be OK with it.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks great! I like that pedal and master cylinder setup. Did RF set up you chassis for that brake system or did you adapt it? Would you mind providing part numbers?

Back