ZF from Maserati Ghibli

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Does anyone know if this could be somehow used with a Ford engine?? "I have a rare 5 speed ZF S5-325 Gear box for an SS ghibli coupe or spider.The box will also work on the early ghibli as well.It is in excellent condition and comes complete with the original ghibli special bell housing.This is a great item to have as a spare or if you intend to covert your car to a 5"
boratra1.jpg

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Lynn,

The box looks identical to the ones we use in our GT40's except for the rear housing. These are available through various ZF / Panterra outlets as are all the outher parts you would need ( bellhousing ). I would buy if the condition / price was right.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Lynn there are adapters available this box could be used in a 40 but it appears it would need the same mods as Pantera box and a new rear cover more than likely we would be interested in this box let's talk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hi Lynn,
I have one of these boxes also, It is a 7 bolt front face which will fit a 7 bolt to Ford small block bellhousing.
I am just in the process of casting a new rear plate to replace the existing one as per your picture, If you need one let me know

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Roy, et al,

How does this transaxle compare with 5 DS-25/1 or 2 in terms of strength and gear ratios? The price is under $4000 and in searching a bit, they are not as rare as the 5 DS-25s. Could it be we have a new family of trannies for GT40s?

ThanX, Lynn
PS: Ron, you are spot on ;-)

hi guys, the BMW Ml box has been recamended by ERA along with the Pantera box ever since they have been building cars. They also sale the hanger and adapter which fits either one. First,second, and third gear, are different than the Pantera,fourth and fifth are the same. The sinkro are made different, but the folks that ran both (Pantera Performance) tell me they are no stronger than the Pantera box. One good thing is that the box is design to run inverted to the Pantera. Another thing is the box has a 70% locker. Pantera East in Florida has 3 never used boxes for sale.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Assume comments are all on BMW M1. My understanding is that, if anything, it might be just a touch weaker as the input shaft is thinner than on the 5ds25/1. Another upside, however, is that the synchros are all updated technology and much more reliable. Could be wrong but I also understand that the issue that required saftety wiring the bolts on the ring gear of the 5ds25/1 was fixed on these.

I have also seen several Porsche 930 4spd transaxles popping up on eBay. I haven't been ablt to determine the ratios for the later model 930s, but they look like they could push a tank! Anyone had experience with these?

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn, I have heard from porsche tranny re-build guys the 930 trans will hold up to 600tq/600hp in stock form. I will let you know how it goes as I plan to beat on mine with a big block ~600hp! The trans is pretty cheap, and can be had with LSD for 2500-3500 if you know where to look, Scott

As I mention in my post last week there is a difference in the input shaft but only at the input end of the shaft. It is much larger on the BMW, almost like a chevy. In fact the shaft will enterchange with each other. Marino at Pantera Performance has pictures of both transaxles laying side by side, for buyers to compare. He also knows ratio off the top of his head.
On another note if you look at ultima's web site they are using the G50 box in their cars (383 chevy)and claim they will hold 500 horsepower. Hang tight.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Actually, Kennedy rates the G50, 930 and 915 as stonger than the ZF 5 DS-25. I don't think he includes the M1 version in his rating. I was very surprised at this!

I can attest that you can shear a 915 input shaft with a 350hp crate chevy 350 motor in a 914. I truly thought I'd bust an axleshaft or cv joint first.

From my on ramp experience in my 460 hp ERA lastnight I feel comfortable questioning Kennedy on this (ZF gearbox). Maybe he is discussing ability to handle HP rather than torque?

Back