wiper motor

hello
I have just bought a kva rolling chassis.that need lots of parts to finish. wich wiper motor assembly can i use for the car. donor car?
best regards
michael /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Michael
My KVA has a Volkswagen wiper motor assembly off a Sirocco (as I remember). I think the important thing is to get an assembly that includes the motor, reciprocating arm and spindle with bearing all mounted onto on plate. This avoids the problem with separate motor and wiper arm spindle connected by flexible drive tube of trying to mount the wiper arm spindle to the fibreglass body. Quite a lot of torque has to be transmitted via the spindle and having it all mounted to a plate saves a lot of trouble. The hole in the fibreglass body is used for location only, all the load being taken by the plate which is bolted into position once located.
As usual, a few millimetres had to be shaved off the plate here and there to get it to fit.

Hope this is useful.

Dave Tickle

hello dave
Thanks i will try find a wiper motor from a scirocco.
best regards
Michael linder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Try the unit from a Saab 900; you will like it! Just like the Lucas system: all enclosed, no external moving parts, 160 degree sweep (if I remember correctly), park feature, large knurl on post makes it easier to find arms than usual English Lucas units. If you want new; do a search on wipers and you will find a company in Georgia (US not Russia :) that is making an all new unit in the same style described above.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Lynn,

I searched google for "wiper motor" saab 900, all I get is used. I tried adding "new wiper motor" and didn't get any hits. Any more details on the new wiper motor from Georgia?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Used is fine. That is what I have. There is a guy locally who makes trikes using these cars and he has a little mini Saab junk yard full of front ends. I just went out and pulled the unit out of one for around $80. I have no clue if that was a good price or not, but it worked for me. They are in a well protected area so are usually fine and don't for get to pull the transmissions from the cowel as well. If the tubing that the cable runs in looks rusted, no worries it is just 5/16 brake line with standard flares on them to fit into the drive and transmissions. Do get the tubing though because you will need the flare nuts.

If you just want new, I suppose you'll have to order it from a dealer or check with some of the guys in Europe. Or, just buy the new unit from the guys in Georgia that I provided. It works the same way.

FROM OLD POST:
Specialty Power Windows
2087 Colier Rd.
Forsyth, GA 31209
912-994-9248
See Kit Car Illustrated August, 2001 pgs. 68-71

If you want to have fun, find an older Saab 900 and take the wiper system out of it. The one above is a sort-of copy of this Lucas system. Like the ones in English cars, it uses a drive cable in a 5/16 steel brake tube and NO external moving parts. You cut and flare the tubing and clamp on a transmission where ever you want the wiper. The BIG difference is that it has knurls (for attaching the arm or arms) that is the size of standard American arms (not those little bittie things like MGs etc) and it has a much wider 165 degree sweep. They are sweet. Enzo at Finish Line/Moto-Lita America can sell you a switch or I can show you how to implement the park feature with two toggles.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Lynn, I'm having trouble finding this enclosed type wiper motor on a 900 Saab. What I found has exposed moving arms and the wiper arm posts are very small. Which year specifically has the type of enclosed drive tube wiper set-up?

Thanks

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Kalun and everyone, I think I put too many zeros in the Saab model number. I think it was actually a Saab 90 which is older than the Saab 900. I am very sorry for this error, I didn't write it down and was working from a memory plagued by senior moments.

Lynn

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
This post is a fortuitous piece of timing!
I was looking at my GTD's wiper motor last night because although there's a three position switch on the dashboard the wiper motor only has one speed
There are five wires going to the wiper motor but when I took the unit out I found that only three of them were being used.
Anybody know which wiper motor the GTD used and if there's a two speed/better unit out there?

Rob,according to my info the wires to the wiper motor should be: 31b = Black; 53A = Green; 53 = Red/Green; 53b = Brown/Green; 53E = Blue/Green The wires to the wiper switch should be: Lug 6 = Red/Green; 2 = Green/Blue; 8 = Brown/Green; 4 = Green. This should give you 2 speeds and self parking at off, on a left hand drive car. Hope this helps.

Back