Monaco 2004

Malcolm

Supporter
A few guys are already aware that I am in discussions with Viking about a visit to the Monaco area to take part in the Saint Cezaire hill climb. I would refer you to the Spring 2003 magazine for his write up on his victory there (blue cover with blue car on it).

Viking is still just investigating opportunities but some feed back now could provide encouragement and allow planning in advance to be more accurate.

The very general picture right now is to go sometime between April 15th and to be back by May 20th. The weather should be better there than here and certainly better than Isle of Man (no IoM next year, confirmed by organisers, sorry chaps!)

It is one heck of a long way to go (1500 km each way!!!!!!!), so Viking is looking to book a local circuit (Lydden size, 2.2km I beleive) for a private track day to make it more worthwhile.

The hill climb organisers have so far said that they would waive our entry fee for the hillclimb and would increase the lenght of the hill from 4.5km to 6 km! Jolly decent of them.

Now I am hoping this may have more appeal to the non competition crowd. You do not need a competition license to take part. You just need helmet, fire extinguisher and harness seat belts. I don't think you even need a race suit! No noise limits either. They only time to the nearest second so the level of seriousness is up to you.

Frank has advised me that the organisation is quite different to the events we normally attend in the UK. The venue is closed roads and there are less marshals. Bit like going for a sunday drive then when Mr Plod isn't looking! And you can take a passenger for a run up the hill, if you can find one daft enough!

I have three acknowledgements of intent for this adventure already.

Travel and accommadation will be the main cost for this trip. The circuit hire charges embarrasses what we pay here and Viking will top up the places with a few selected frends with some very nice machinery to reduce costs to most likley less than half a UK track day price.

Without committing yourself, if this adventure is one for you, please post your thoughts/questions.

Malcolm

That's one hell of a distance! 1500km! That's at least 15 hours driving. Probably more like 18 hours with the crossing and the like. A 2 day drive then. Not for me thanks!

Can't warrant 4-5 days of towing!

Regards,

J.P

P.S Call me a pussy, but I'm getty pretty lazy these days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Paul, you can wear your Nun's habit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JP, You mustn't forget our ethos " Gentleman Racers" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We are allready making enquiries into transporting the 40's out to Monaco;thereby enabling us to just fly over, spot of racing, blat round a circuit a bit,all in time for the sights of Monaco,and a large gin &amp; tonic before bed!! No hassle,No towing...Tempted now?

Jools,

Tremendous effort Sir! I take my hat off to you. What an adventure, I shall call my tailor immediatley for the appropriate clothing, but what is acceptable in Monaco? Is it acceptable to allow our wives and lady friends to attend the warm invitation you have kindly bestowed upon one?

Warmest Regards,

J.P

P.S Shall I bring some servants to change one's wheels, or will you provide?

Wives and lady friends are most welcome at any of our little jollys; especially if they lean to don race suit and helmet and come out to play(Mo,Wendy). Susie is intending to join me in Monaco, she may even sit along side on a blast up the hill!....her only previso that I stay on the black stuff while she's in the car.. best she winds up the gramophone and cracks open the GIN !!
As usual you can rely on there being many a willing hand to ease your mechanicals..whilst allthough still unsighted of these new-fangled MDA's,I hear they need no maintainance/fuel/pilot,but shall still soundly thrash the opposition!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

When is the exact date? I am planning to be down that way for a week/end or so. Would be more than willing to come and cheer anyone on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brett

Malcolm

Supporter
I have a total of 6 interested parties so far. However the concensus of opinion is that this event should be classed as a social event rather than as a competitive event. The event remains as described above, but hopfully we can attract some guys to come who wouldn't do a pure competition event.

Transportation ideas include using the drive on trains to carry cars to the south of France or a car transporter lorry. If anyone has any contacts/knowledge in either of these areas please could they consider giving advice or help.

Any more takers?

Malcolm

Back