High Port Heads and Bundle of Snakes Headers

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Is there anyone who has a bundle of snakes exhaust and has switched from stock position exhaust ports to heads with raised exhaust ports??

This question hasn't been asked since Victor C. Antkowiak asked it over a year ago. Neal gave a good answer, but nobody that tried it, if there is anyone, would admit to it and respond. So, I'll ask it again. If nothing else, a direct answer will tell the guy who misses that "exhaust port raised .400" spec what his options are.

ThanX, Lynn

Hi Lynn, I would like an answer also as I have those heads sitting on the self, new and also with a high dollar CNC port job done to them. When I built the engine for my CAV, I used stock port location Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is aq pic of my engine with the Edelbrock heads

Vic

Attachments

• 24879-40spec.JPG
    24879-40spec.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 309

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Victor,

What a gorgeous engine!!

Maybe we should put this question to the manufacturers. They had to have considered the fact that someone would use raised port heads. However, I haven't seen any header options on any of the web sites; has anyone else?

Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't the raised port heads have the same bolt pattern? So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the entire exhaust would only be raised 4/10 inch? If so, then it would still fit just fine. I mean, relative to one another all the pipes would be in the same place, just 4/10 higher. Looking at my headers if this happened they still fit just fine and still clear the rear deck.

R

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ron,

Theoretically, if the plane of the exhaust port is perpendicular this would be true. Excepting the case where the sway bar goes over the headers in which case they may interfere. But, this is exactly what I am trying to determine from actual practice. Because, if there is any angle in the plane of the exhaust port, the ends of the header tubes, where they enter the collectors, would move towards or away from one another. The amount of movement would be determined by the angle of the port and distance the port has moved from the stock position.

Lynn

Ron Earp

Admin
It isn't quite perpindicular but close. If it was at 20 degrees then some simple trig will get you how far it "spreads out" but I'd think this would be very little. Obviously less than 0.40". If it were 45 degrees it'd spread 0.20", which is easily accomidated by wanking on the pipes with a bar thrust in the end of them. A torch to heat a pipe and some wanking can solve a lot of problems - as Vic mentioned, been there and bought the t-shirt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

R

"Simple Trig" and "wanking" used in the same paragraph. Either that makes for interesting reading or I'm a deviant.

Some phrases Ron, do not translate as you may think, across the pond!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Happy .....shall we say " adjusting "

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Victor, that IS a great looking motor you built. Is that an aluminum block 302 Ford? How much power does that make, and what does it weigh?

Hi Jim, No the block is not Aluminum! I wanted the engine not to be multi-colored. I always paint my oil pans semi or flat black as I believe the heat is transfered to the air better. Thus I didn't want a Blue Block, black pan and Alum for the rest of the engine. The paint is Dupli-Color High Temp Alum over hand brushed Rustoleom with a Hi-Temp Clear. The block was deburred and smoothed inside and out.
The block is a new roller explorer unit filled with the best parts I could find, Boss 302 steel crank, H-beam rods,Hipertech pistons and a Comp cam.
Similar engines I have built make about 400 to 420 HP with a Speed Demon carb. I am anxious to put this one on the Chassis Dyno soon after I get the bugs worked out so I can see if the Fuel Injection was worth the cost and the installation.

Vic
CAV 40

I don't think the exterior color of the pan has any effect on heat retention. It would absorb radiant heat from the sun better than white, but this is not a case of heat absorbtion.

Nice looking motor.

I read some time ago in one of the Hotrod type mags the reason Radiators and oil coolers are painted black for heat dissipation. As I recall the writer or the articale also stated not to paint brake drums as the paint held in the heat, but if you must a flat black was his recommendation.

Vic CAV 40

[ QUOTE ]
which is easily accomidated by wanking on the pipes with a bar thrust in the end of them. A torch to heat a pipe and some wanking can solve a lot of problems - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

R

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,

Yeah I know what you mean! I've been wanking with my pipework for years now. But it hasn't solved any problems for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

J.P

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
JP, I have noticed that my vision is blurring a little. But, other than that it really hasn't effected me too much either.

Regards,
Lynn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
which is easily accomidated by wanking on the pipes with a bar thrust in the end of them. A torch to heat a pipe and some wanking can solve a lot of problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,
as Jools said, this doesn't translate too well into "real" English. I read your post at work and was laughing so much I had to leave my desk! I thank you for cheering up a dull day at work.

When I next have any trouble with my car, I certainly won't be trying that to fix it!!!!

Charles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Charles, did we have a conversation in the pub about words that didn't traslate well? If we did I didn't learn a damn thing! Well, I hope you fellows enjoyed that round, I'll try and be a little bit better next go around. Take care,

Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Yeesss! Here in Queensland Au.we have a beer called XXXX (four ex)and a while ago they marketed it in the U.S. So picture a bunch of Aussies after a hard days toil all singing "I can feel a 4X coming on!" I can imagine the confusion as I believe that is a brand of condom over there.
Nice engine----one of these days I'm gonna get smart enough to have one of them to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DRB#17
Yellow/Red
320rwhp till the end of this month

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
While this has been fun, we still don't have any anecdotal evidence that a 180º header system has worked on a set of raised exhaust port heads. Somebody out there has to have put them on with Canfield, Victor, Twisted Wedge or some other high port head.

Thanks, Lynn

Back