Wanted Heads: AFR, GT40X/Z, Edlbro. Performer(RPM)

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am looking for a set of heads. AFRs could either be 165s or 185s, but not 225s. FMS GT40s X303 or Z304. Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM or maybe Victor Jr. w/ unported intake runners.

I am going to put these on a true 302ci/5.0L motor (not stroked and not bored[for now anyway])

ThanX, Lynn

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for a set of heads. AFRs could either be 165s or 185s, but not 225s.])

[/ QUOTE ]

E-mail me an I will put you in contact with a friend of mine. He built up a 306 for his Cobra with AFR 185's and decided to go with a bigger engine. The 185's are at the bottom of his HP level and he really wants to go to bigger AFR's. Price would be fair.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Re: Wanted Heads: AFR, GT40X/Z, Edlbro. Performer(

I am still looking. Getting closer on some ported Performer RPMs, but would prefer AFRs 165 or 185. Bart, I haven't heard from your buddy yet.

It is my understanding that the AFR 165 and 185 are the same head. The only difference being the porting of the runners. So getting 165s would work for me on the 302ci and plenty of porting capability if I want to make them larger. But, I think 185s in one step is my prefered way to go.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn,
If you have the "basic" package the valves are the same. In the AFR catalog the description for the 185s is for 2.02 intakes and 1.6 exhaust. Niether will accept the rail rocker arms and ceretain models require hardened pusshrods (1400 and 1402 for 165s and 1420 and 1422 for the 185s). the 2.02s may require the pistons to be notched and for sure on the 86 5.0L for both. Torque settings and head bolt size (AFR) are different. The 165 suggest the Performer or RPM Performer and the 185 the RPM Performer or Vic Jr. This according to their latest catalog.
In the latest shootout of the different heads (Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford I believe) the valve springs were changed by AFR to correct for valve float problem around 5800 if memory serves me. BTW the 185s outperformed all the heads you listed.
Did you get the "articles" I sent you on cams etc.
Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

I wanted to thank everyone. I am pretty well fixed up now. I have an older set of Edelbrock RPMs which will end up on my mild motor-G50 spare drivetrain and a set of AFRs that will end up on a Dart block-G50/50 drive train. I will run the AFRs with an X303 cam on the stock (mild) block for now as they are 165s. When I get the Dart block started, I'll have the AFRs ported to somewhere between 165->185cc and cut for larger valves if that is what makes sense for my desired outcome (something along the lines of Gordon Levy's 306 engines.) With everything I have heard about Gordon's engines, I'll probably see if I can get him to grind me a cam for the Dart/AFR combo. I suppose I'll have to decide on a stack type EFI to get enough flow to the heads.

Back