RF40 wins at Geelong Speed Trials

Last weekend saw the running of the Geelong Speed Trials. About an hours drive out of Melbourne this historic event sees vintage sports cars Coopers Lotus F5000 etc up to moderns run over a 1/4 mile course along the seafront. Ross Nicol's RF40 won our class beating all the 'GT40 owners in waiting" My RF ran a 13.26 which considering it is running a crate motor was very pleasing. Regards Norman

Congrats Ross!!! I was down there poking around the pit area and hanging around with a mate who entered his 300zx (ran a 13.08 finished mid field in his class). If one thing could sum up the day was bloody hot!!! 39 degrees C. I spent half the day pushing an overheating Z up and down the pit lane!!!

Gotta say I loved seeing the GT40's in action. They look and sound absolutly awesome.

Norman was your car the yellow one or the other red one?

Cheers,

Danny

Ron Earp

Admin
Norman,

Was Russ driving that thing like he stole it? Or at least driving it like he rented it from Hertz?

Ron

Yes. Ross left all the Cobra owners in his wake. They were mostly Robnell Cobra Reps running 429s. These are really great replicas. Danny in answer to your question mine is the red car. The yellow car is my next door neighbor so you can imagine the competition. Last year there was only the two of us in the class which fortunatly I won. So I sent my NDN some emailed photos I had been sent with the comment "whats the difference between these two cars" and right at the end put "half a second. We started talking to each other just in time for this years event. Regards

Ron Earp

Admin
What did he run in the quarter? I got mixed up, I was thinking he turned a 13 something but 13s won't smoke many Cobra replicas.

R

I was to busy trying to remember my own times but it was if i recall correctly low 12s. There were several Cobras between Ross and I and one or two Cobras behind me. Regards

Ron and all,

Its probably worth mentioning that this is a historic event and as such is run with no special modern enhancements, and that’s what makes this event so unique and special. The "race track" is just an ordinary closed public road on the beachside (with all the associated dust) and with a kink in it no less. It even has all the car parking markers on it. There are no burnouts permitted to warm your tyres and no sticky rubber "pre-laid" on the start line. Consequently I would expect the quicker cars to be a little slower than they would be on a purpose built track.

Norman,
Unfortunately I missed your run not having realised that your event was on Saturday. (I attended sunday's meeting). Interestingly, there was also a GT40 replica competing on Sunday, but this one had managed to pass itself off as an original! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Those in the know simply sat back and had a chuckle over the special attention that it was getting by the organisers, allowing it to run repeated demonstration laps. The driver was Mick Hone (of motor cycling fame) and the GT40, I am told, was a dark blue early 1970's build replica from New Zealand.

And finally, congratulations to Ross. Ross, you'll have me to challenge you next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi There Guys
I seem to be the topic of this thread so here I am to accept all your accolades. It was very nice to receive my first trophy in the GT40 and a total surprise to beat the 7 litre cobras. We had an excellent display with Norman's car, Alan's car and mine lined up together in the pits the whole day. Alan was even lucky enough to attract a young lady into his car but events turned sour when she burnt her bare legs on the hot aluminium panel.
I'm pretty sure my best time was 12.56 and thats not bad considering the tall gearing not allowing wheel spin take off's. Actually on my second run the clutch slipped all the way to third gear. After each run I had to dry out my suit as it was saturated with sweat. At the end of the day I drove the GT40 back around the bay to Frankston and was pleased when the cool change rolled in. Next step is slick tyres on new 17" wheels and I should have them for Island Magic Race meeting Sat week. My lap times are coming down even on the Yokohama rubber.
Regards Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Just got the official times today-
<ul type="square"> place no driver vehicle cc time
1 23 Ross Nicol Roar'40s GT40 5000 12.56
2 11 Daryl Cox AC Cobra 5700 12.79
3 12 Phil White Robnell Cobra 7000 12.89
4 974 Ian Ransom Bollwell mk7 5700 12.89
5 41 Russell Priest RobnellSC429 7000 12.98
6 24 Steve Coffey Robnell 429SC 7000 13.23
7 40 Norman Falkner Roar'40sGT40 5000 13.26
8 27 Alan Simpson Roar'40sGT40 5000 14.1
9 351 Darryl Martin Robnell 351Sc5800 19.85 [/list]
Feel sorry for those Cobras don't we.........No Not Really
Regards Ross

Congratulations Ross, That is a quick time. What happened to 9th place getter Darryl Martin"s time of 19.85 sec.
Surely 351 cubes would propel his car faster than that assuming that his is a cobra too. Must of had major problems to go so slow.

Back