Ring and pinion

O.K.
Question for the really smart ones. I'm trying to find out if the Porsche 944 Turbo transaxle is the same Getrag that's found the the Audi (the 016). I know Porsche doesn't have the provision for the clutch, but I do know that the Turbo model uses a 3.39:1 ring and pinion ratio. I'd like to switch it out with the 4.11:1 in my Audi box. All things being equal, the Audi ratios with the 3.39 should work out quite nicely, but who in the world knows, or knows someone who can tell me if the Turbo's transaxle is the Getrag model with interchangable internals.

Jim Downard

Ron Earp

Admin
It will work and fit just fine. It has been done and discussed on the board. If you want an independant to verify for you give German Transaxle a call in OR, you can find their number on the web or by searching here.

R

Yes, it'll work. My 016 box has been modified with a 3.89 R/P from a 944. Are you sure you have the ratio correct? I've seen 4.11 and 3.89 ratios, but never a 3.39 ratio.

The info I have on the 944 turbo trans shows a 3.375:1 R&P. It would make for decent ratios, though you'd likely have to buy a turbo trans for around $800 to get the R&P out of it, the cost of your original 016 at say $300, and the labor to set it up (and likely freshen up the gearbox at the same time) for around $375 + parts. So, for $1500 or so, you'd have the complete gearbox. Here are the "net" ratios of this swap in an 016 5N.

Audi 016-5N w/ 944T 3.375 Diff 1=12.15 2=7.19 3=4.59 4=3.27 5=2.46
With the AZZ, you'd end up with a "net" of the same 1st gear ratio, and a 5th of 2.93:1 (about the same 5th as a 915 911 Porsche trans).

For a couple of hunderd more $, I'd personally opt for a low mileage 01E 6 speed.

Hope this helps,

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it'll work. My 016 box has been modified with a 3.89 R/P from a 944. Are you sure you have the ratio correct? I've seen 4.11 and 3.89 ratios, but never a 3.39 ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

To get some really technical answers you guys can email an inquiry to

Bill Burris
[email protected]

He is the head of the Technical group for Porsche Club of America focusing on 924/944/968's for 1987-on.

While you guys are at it, anybody thought of using a 968 6-speed tranny? Mounts like the 924/944/944t and can take a ton of torque. Not much of a market for them so they might be really cheap. Most I have ever seen had lsd's too.

Chuck

Chuck Ward

The Porsche 968 transmission uses the internals from an Audi/Getrag 01E in exactly the same way the Porsche 944 uses the 016 box. In both cases, the front end is designed to accept a torque tube rather than mate directly to the engine, but the internals are the same (except gear ratios).

HI , I did some digging on the internet and found the standard gear for non turbo (which wont do anyone that much good) for about $550. This place didnt offer the turbo R&P.Found another place , but I had to email them for prices, Windward Performance Products,, This was there reply: "We can offer these ring and pinions (the real-deal: genuine German matched ring and pinions--harmonically paired and bulletproof--and NOT the domestic or Italian breakage-prone "howlers") for $1599.00
Shops ordering three or more get a rate of $1479.00, and generally receive a Christmas card as well. "
I would hope you would get a heck of a card for that money! Looked for used boxes and they are out there , generally iffy condition at $300 to lots more at $500-700 ,low mile ones over that. I wonder if a 80k or 90k mile box if the gears would be ok,,(if there pretty stout ) if so it would be worth the swap.That mod could actually give you a REAL usable 5spd box ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, I found a place that has a Turbo S 3.39:1 ring and pinion gear for $500. It's PAP parts. They're in Georgia. Guy told me he had a set on the shelf. I'm going to buy it, but he told me that people from Porshce racing clubs are all the time trying to find 4.11:1 gears form the Audi box to put in their race cars. Man, sounds like the Porsche club needs to hook up with the GT40 forum and make some gear exchanges. Even up exchange sounds good for both parties concerned.

Jim Downard

Proud future owner of the first MDA GT40 in the United States.

Sorry but I've been out of town. Here's the lastest data on Bill from the PCA website. I note the following additional statement.

"Questions may be directed to National Technical Chairman Tom Charlesworth, or to the other Technical Committe members responsible for individual models (see listing below). The Technical Committee prefers that you submit your questions to them through the on line form in the web site. Please save phone calls for emergencies."

924/944/968 (1987 on)

Bill Burris
3945 Ann Arbor Rd.
Lakewood, CA 90712
Tel: 563-377-8917 (PST)

Given the note, tell me your specific question and I'll post on the PCA Tech website.

Chuck

O.K. guys. Scrap the 944 Turbo S ring and pinoin swap. The bearing cage is larger and won't fit in the transaxle housing. Now I just need to check to see if the 944 Turbo transaxle housing itself is the same. if so, we can either machine the existing 016 case and insert the internals. (I hope).
I'm placing my deposit on an MDA GT 40 tomorrow and I'm thinking of haveing Mark check the bone yard in England for the Audi 016 type 3U boxes. If they're plentyful, I'd ponder asking if he'd grab several and throw them in my shipping container with the rest of my car. It would be a way to get a few more here in the states if anyone is interested.

Jim Downard

Back