High torque motor

Here is an interesting motor formally used to propel torpedos but are now available for other applications making 200 hp @ 2000 rpm but 650 lb torque at 1,200 rpm!

Dyna Cam

Talk about lighting up the tires just off idle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Time to bring in the gearing gurus.

Ron Earp

Admin
That is really cool, thanks for posting that. I really like engine technology and engines in many case more than what they are used for. I've never seen that type of configuration and I'd love to see one up close.

Lots of speculation though and I don't know if I buy their TBO intervals and approzimate costs of competing units. But, still cool stuff!!!
Thanks much,

Ron

Hey Ron,

You are more than welcome. Yeah, pretty neat. I am going to inqury as to vehicle applications. I wonder what it would sound like with a crossover exhaust!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Would I be mad to put one in my future GT40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It is amazing what you find surfin the net in your time off, or better yet, on company time!

Ron Earp

Admin
To me it looks like it'd be at home in a plane or boat due to its torque characteristics. Don't think I'd want one in a 40.

R

Hey Ron, if you want to see something similar, take apart an AC compressor from a Honda or a similar style.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I thought I posted a reply, but I must have forgot to save it. They did test a motor that, if not the same, was just like it in an airplane. Like you say the torque specs are perfect for a propeller driven aircraft and it has a very low frontal area/displacement. There was big article in Popular Science about it. I think the project died because the motor came along about the same time the production of [many] private aircraft also died.

There are AC compressors that are double heade and some that are single headed. I had to have some bastard fitting made for my AC unit and while at 4 Brothers AC in Raleigh, they had a history lesson in taken apart AC compressors around their waiting room.

Lynn

Back