NEW AUDI S6 Transaxle 01E 300 044 R - DPM on eBay

That's a Quattro box from a 1997 S6. It would need a fair amount of work to convert it from AWD to 2WD, but the price may be right (shipping at $195 seems a bit steep though). My Audi parts database program is for UK and European cars and therefore doesn't allow me to look up the ratios for this particular box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Re: NEW AUDI S6 Transaxle 01E 300 044 R - DPM on e

Sorry, It didn't say anything about AWD or 4WD. When I went back, just now, and looked at the photo again, I can just make out the rear flange. I am sure there are others searching eBay regularly for Audi trannies and I am, by no means up on them. So, I'll stop posting these.

Lynn

No worries, Lynn. If you DO find a good 2WD 01E box on Ebay, you can just let ME know via PM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

While on the subject, I've been using some web-based used parts sites to try and locate an 01E EKN box in Germany, and using Google's language tools to communicate via email. Thus far these boxes seem to go for around 3,500 Euros. Does anyone have a link to auto-part locating services in the UK, so that the language barrier (mostly) goes away?

I'd like to thank Mark for his off-line assistance [Joined the group last night but could not post so emailed direct]. I'm the bozo who bought the t-axle in question. I didn't catch it was a Quattro unit until after I purchased it. Intent is to put it behind a Ford 4.6L DOHC. Question now is 'if you were me .. what to do'? Mark mentioned it may not be a good idea to leave the rear output freewheeling (and a work-in-progress parts conversion list, thank you). Opines/suggestions appreciated here or offline.

Thank you,
Jim

I know that California Motorsports routinely turns a 4wd G64 into a G50 style 2wd box. In that case they take out the rear drive shaft and put on a different cover. Maybe there is a similar deal with the S6 transaxle. You could call them to see if they know anyting about your transaxle.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Gary, Is there not some sort of differential or viscous coupling between the front power out puts and the rear to allow for different rotational speeds from front to rear? I know that this is the big difference between AWD and 4WD, but I have never looked at Quattro very closely. Are the half shaft flanges and the rear flange hard linked (so to speak?)

They deffinately have to have a differential between front and rear, but I am not sure where they do it. I have not seen the boxes in person. I was going of the expertise of the guy at California Motorsports concerning the G64/51. Also the Audi could be much different meaning the front to rear differential is a concern, etc.

The center differential is in the end cover. The differential shaft ends at a spline and the center diff slides onto that then the output flange slides onto the otherside and the cover is put on. Looking at some pictures, you could just pull the flange, remove the covers, remove the diff and your on your own what to do with the cover. This is from an A8, pretty similar i suspect if not the same, my info calls it an 01a though.

Back