high back racing seat

when i bought my gtd it had only one racing seat (the one with exits for a 5 point harness +high sides)does anyone know where i can find a seat gtd seems to not manufactor that seat,,,,,,,,,,, HEELLPP.......

Malcolm

Supporter
You have the same seats as I do. However these GTD seats were specially made for GTD so unless anyone knows where they were made you will be stuck for a second one, unless one pops up second hand. They will be quite rare. If you really want to get a matched pair you will have to have one made I suspect using your other one as a pattern.

Malcolm

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Attachments

• 26750-BlueA4.jpg
    26750-BlueA4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 402
I was wondering about some of those racing style seats, but assumed that they had too much padding under your bum thus raising your head too high. Lynn have you tried one of these style seats in your 40?

Thanks
Gary

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have 17.25 total inchs of width to fit a seat into my GTD. The area is as large as can be made and still cover the center consol things, shifter, handbrake etc. I would like to put in a proper race seat someday but there aren't many that narrow. How do the othercars,RF,CAV etc stack up in this area?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Yes, I have the Corbeau A4s in my car. It was one of the few affordable seats that would fit. My seats are black as that was the only available color at the time. If I hadn't already put Ben's big GT40 Logo patch right between the shoulder blades on both seats (bonded and stitched) I'd sell them and get the blue ones, which would match the car color better. They do give you really good support.

They also fold forward and backward. This was a requirement of mine since I placed the computer, inertia switch and most of the relays behind the passenger seat. In addition to providing access to behind the seat, they also will lean back to match the incline of the firewall.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn, What are the dimentions of your seat? I think that my CAV seats are 18" wide. If your seat is any wider yours won't fit. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The sitting height off the floor is only a couple of inches. I quickly realized that this was the most restrictive dimension, believe it or not. I had some early model corvette, lumbar split seats that I thought would be perfect. They were, if I wanted to drive with my line of vision 2" above the roof!

Go here to get all dimensional and other info on the A4:
Click Here For Corbeau A4 Detail

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Howard,
Have you condidered "growing" a seat especially for your own bum/butt/backside and back/lumbar area. Its not that difficult and any race prep shop would do it for you or show how it's done. Thereafter you take the mold so formed and take it to a trimming shop who will replicate it for you in any finish you desire including the brass eyelets that is evocative of the GT40. If you are really clever you can also pipe in cool air into the seat squab and back. To retain the seat you have "built up" you simply form an outside shell that will fit into the seat area in your car and have that trimmed to match as well.
regards,
Dave
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave

You know I was thinking the same thing! I found a sorce for the two part foam and one of the race engineering books I have kinda explains how to do it. I think I can simply make a seat bucket out of fiberglass or aluminum, attach it to a very simple frame, and pour myself a seat. I think I'll try this one of these days. Right now I am spending ALL of my garage time doing the body prep for painting this spring.
Has anyone done one of these?

Howard

Hi Guys, The web site is a place about 20 minutes from my home here in the Alanta area. Next week I'll drive my CAV over and try to fit the seats in it and get back to you on how they work out. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

can you please send me some pictures of your seet to see that it is the same. k. holst.sweden

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Joseph, Tell Stephen Rogers that Lynn Larsen from Raleigh told you to stop by. It may get you kicked out of the store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif only joking. I bought a bunch of Momo stuff and my harness from Stephen. Good guy and good prices.

Regards,
Lynn

Well all you guys, I stopped by to check out the seats today. I didn't bring my CAV, but I think that you all will be happy to know that the "A4" is 17" from side to side on the floor. 6" off the floor is 181/5", but can be squeesed in because of the foam padding. Don't jump to buy this seat yet, because I think that a much more comfortable seat will fit our GT-40's. I think it is 18" on the floor and has an adjustable head rest which can be removed if it is to high. If it does not rain Saturday ( 12-20-03 ) I'll take my CAV over there and try to fit as many different seats in it as possable. Then you all can have a better choice. I was told that if we get a bunch ordered they will give a much better price. I'll get back intouch Saturday night and let you know what happened.
Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Joe. Please pay attention to the amount the seats will raise your rear (or my rear) of the bottom of the car. This is the limiting factor to may tall guys.

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,
Are you ever going to get down to my neck of the woods? We sure did have fun last Memorial Day weekend.
I did sit in the A4 in the store on the floor and I did seem to compress the seat almost all the way down to the metal frame. The seat cushion was fairly soft so it should not hold you off the floor very much. It did seem to be comfortable though. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back