Suggestions for Spares

Ron Earp

Admin
Howdy Folks,
I don't come down here in the GTD Forum too often to post or pester but I would like to help you chaps sort out the spares section. Let me propose a few options and you tell me what you like best.

1. A GTD Spares forum, moderated by a GTD member, located as a subforum from the GTD Forum. Only GTD members can post on it, and, we could also make the main GTD Forum this way too.

2. A GTD Club spares forum located on the same level as the GTD Club forum, no protection, anyone can post. Moedrated by a GTD Club owner.

3. I change the For Sale section into two parts. One for "Cars For Sale" and one for "Parts for Sale". Everyone can post to it, it would still be moderated by a GTD Forum member because, since you guys are bringing it up I can rope one of you into moderating it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the GTD Club and the folks in it, seem like a friendly and knowledgable bunch. I love this past issue of the mag too, the technical bit on cams was good because I've had BIG arguments with people who don't understand that cam specs are given in crankshaft degrees and cam degrees depending on the what you are talking about. Nice one Roy.

Now, that part about David Coulthard's bird in the shower, I didn't know he had a bird. What kind? And why did those fellows want to see it in the shower? Something about living on that green and wet island gives you fellows some strange fetishes...

Ron, Paul etc,

As both a GTD and GT40 Enthusiasts Club member I have no particular axe to grind but I think many spares are good for GTD, Tornado, KVAs etc., so why restrict the availability to GTD alone. For example my local GT40EC group has 1 GTD (me), 3 Tornados (1 considering a rebuild, 2 with chassis arriving from Kidderminster in the Spring) and 2 KVAs (both still in build!) i.e. most still actively looking for parts.

I think the issue is more about geography than GT40 replica marque. I am unlikely to sell/buy a small part to/from the US or even less likely Australasia. If we have all spares advertised universally the presentation gets diluted for all of us with items we cannot economically obtain. I am not saying we should not be able to see or buy abroad just that it might be better to somehow have a geographical scope on the browsing/display. This could be done with a separate thread or less simply with some form of qualification on the search facility. Being selfish for a moment I would like to see a UK spares directory for all-comers (probably also used by fellow Europeans).

On a related matter I have been very recently ‘invited’ to revamp the GT40EC website. I don’t want to attempt a spares listing at the beginning but it might come later.

Happy Christmas to everyone.

Hi Ron / Dave

Thanks for the suggestions re spares - I'm with Dave on this, whilst we are two clubs, we both have a common interest and spares should be available to all - So my choice would be for an open system, but with distinct sections for (a)Complete cars and (b)Parts. It would be important for people posting to clearly identify themselves and their location.

I must admit I still do not see the point of having a spares section on our own club site, or elsewhere for that matter and a single source on GT40s.com means only one place to check, if we have several databases it will not be so easy to compare/locate that elusive part.

Thanks for kind remarks about the mag - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A parts wanted sub-section would be useful too. Most of us have bits and bobs stashed away that we don't really need, but it's too much hassle to advertise them. If we see someone actully looking for that specific part, then we have a mutually beneficial situation.

I don't really think we are looking at a huge number of parts once it settles down, and I for one, would find it frustrating having to move from forum to forum depending on area, and the like. It's far easier to run down one list looking for the part you want (preferably in the title). Ok if it happens to be 5000 miles away, skip to the next. But if it is exactly the correct, hard to find, part you've been looking for for ages it is easy to see and to ignore if you wish.
As for parts wanted, I've always found these to be a bit of a non starter unless they are in the same forum as parts for sale, for the same reason. If you have a few bits stashed away which you are not too bothered about getting rid of, you are very unlikely to actively open the section 'parts wanted'.
"KISS"

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, I need a moderator for the new Parts For Sale section. Any takers? Must be self learner and willing to move posts around where needed.

Back