Porsche clutches

Guys,

Received the G50/52 transaxle from the ebay sale that folks warned about. The source was traced to Patrick Motor Sports after the auction went without making minimum. Has standard gearing. Deal included a Sachs clutch and pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, ring gear, Tilton Super starter, and an adapter with flywheel for an odd-ball engine (6.8 liter modular V10).

Transaxle has a new side plate with no hole for speed sensor output and is set up for spray bars. Clutch lever is there and appears complete. Box has obviously been rebuilt and is squeaky clean. Input pinion has 23 teeth.

The nose piece has had the back mounting point cut off (it came with the box for all it's worth ;>) Looks like the box will fit, but I'll have to make a cable shifter ... would have to have made or bought one anyway.

Are all clutch slave cylinders pretty much the same for these transaxles? This transaxle doesn't have one, but I do have one from a previous purchase.

Pressure plate isn't here yet, but the disk fits and is made by Sachs. Has alternating pads of an apparently "gnarly" material. In other words, the clutch surface has about half of its area as contact material. I expect the pressure plate is a nasty one thus yielding a high performance clutch.

Anyone familiar with Sachs clutches? As I am trying to limit expenses for a while, I'd love to use this clutch for the first pass. How much torque should I expect this one to survive if driven with some care?

Thanks,

Mike,

You'll find that clutch pretty grabby(all or nothing). I

had a six pad disc(racing disc)in my car for a while, but

removed it in favor of the stock disc($212), which engages

much more smoothly. Your clutch disc probably came from

Kennedy Engineered Products, and should last a long

time, if you can live with the rough engagement.

Bill

Mike,

I got them from Kennedy Engineered Products. The clutch

discs are made "in house", and are very resonable. $95 if

I remember correctly. The pressure plate (2000lb) made my

left leg so much stronger than my right, that I found

myself walking around in circles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It had to go, along

with the 6 pad disc!

Bill

Back