Windshield Scratch repair

Can anyone recommend a repair kit for scrathed windshield. I have number of scrathes about 1/2" long each and deep enough to catch your fingernail. I guess the best way would be to fill these scratches, what do you guys think?!

I can not sand them down, they are too deep

FAILI F, THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.? WHEN I WAS A KID I KIND OF LOST CONTROL OF MY CAR AND DROVE THROUGH A CHAIN LINK FENCE WHICH WAS THE BACK STOP FOR A BASEBALL FIELD. THE WINDSHIELD MUST OF HAD 1,000 " S " SCRATCHES IN IT. MY FATHER TOOK A DAMP TOWEL AND SOME FINE PUMICE POWDER AND RUBBED THE WINDSHIELD WITH IT AND IN ABOUT 15 MINUTES THEY ALL CAME OUT PERFECTLY. THEY WERE DEFINATELY SCRATCHES BECAUSE WE FIRST TRIED TO WASH IT WITH EVERYTHING WE COULD THINK OF. I DON'T REMEMBER IF THEY WERE VERY DEEP THOUGH. JOE

Before you attack your expensive screen with any abrasives etc, look for windscreen repair franchises. They are mobile, and so will be able to come to you, they are able to make repairs to small scratches and chips very cheaply, and the results are excellent.
Good luck, Mike

Thanks everyone for all the info. I had tried taking it to shops that do this kind of thing, but none of them wanted anything to do with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I guess it wasn't worth their time. I will call 1 or 2 more places before doing anything on my own. Thanks again.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Man your'e hard on windshields Fred! That's the second one. At least you didn't break yours while you were storing it under your bed like I did mine. Call me I might have a guy for you to call in Dublin.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Faili F,
I assume you have a GLASS screen and these scratches are cosmetic, short and not too deep as to affect the integrity of your screen.
If you can't polish the scratches out with a paste, you could try filling one scratch with a thin clear fast setting cyanoacrylate glue (memory tells me Loctite), acrylic or two pack epoxy with a UV inhibitor.
Make sure the scratch is perfectly clean and dry with a spirit Make a test piece first as some of these cements actually go white/opaque if applied to a cold surface.
If the cement is proud, break a razor blade into a very narrow scraper and shave the glue back flush with the screen. Then try polishing "locally" with a very fine metal polish on a Q Tip.
REMEMBER - make those test pieces first and only try it for real if you are confident in the outcome, otherwise they are best left as is.

James, I think you are dead on,,the scratches are too deep to be polished out. They need to be filled out first and then lightly polished.
Dennis, I received the glass as is from DRB. It was piggy backed on top of another windshield when Dave Harris got his DRB kit. It was bubble wraped but I think a piece of metal must had gotten in there during shipping. All the scrathes are localized in front of the passenger area.

Back