Old style ZF Questions

Anybody out there with an original style ZF that can help.

How much can you rotate the output flange on your transmission?

If you have a limited slip differential, do you have much incremental noise when accelerating from stopped in a turn (versus accelerating headed straight)? I'm assuming I've got a plate style limited slip rather than a quaiffe.

If it turns out my 1,800 mile tranny which was rebuilt through (or by) ERA before they delivered the car to the original owner, I'm going to consider getting one of RBT's 6-speeds. Anybody have one yet?

Thanks in advance guys and best wishes to all for the new year.

Chuck Ward

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chuck, it might be cheaper to have RBT go through your ZF as opposed to buying a new 6 speed. Six gears would have a big grin factor though...RBT can answer your questions on the transaxle, I think.

Thanks Jim,

I have RBT's number on my desk for Monday am right after I found out who ERA had rebuild the tranny. Interestingly I read a thread on a Pantera board today which sounded just like my lsd noise and it turned out to be ujoints! Those are coming out first thint tomorrow morning for checking and I've decided to pop the differential cover while there and see if the ring gear bolts are safety wired.

The 6speed is awful tempting and they have lots of great gearing options too.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Hi Chuck. I have a new RBT ZF 5 spd in my CAV Gulf spec. 1st gear is pretty short and getting into 1st gear is a bit of an art. Part of that I think is from how the set up of the shifter to tranny is and part the actual tranny. 5th gear gets me about 70mph at 2800rpm. This is somewhat higher than my cobra which is 2000 rpm at 70 mph. The six speed was a lot,a lot more expensive. Also the originals only had 5 speeds. I'll have to check what ratios are in it and let you know. The cobra has 3.73s in the back.

Back