Hewland transaxels

Anyone have any experience with Hewland transaxels? Ive located some however the specs are unlike any I've seen before, Thanks Wayne

I have a knowledge of the Hewland 200. Let me know the type of box that you have found. I also have a parts manual for Hewland boxes. I am sure that we could ID it for you. Keep in touch.

A Hewland for a 40 should be at least a DG box and preferably an LG. The DG box is good for up to 500HP and the LG is used for larger stuff. Both have bellhousings for Ford engines available. I believe all DG boxes are 5 speed and LG's are 4 and 5 speed. Both have dog style shifting that may be a little irritating on the street but are not undrivable. The gear boxes are all basically the same, just different sizes. Some of the cases for newer cars were designed specifically for a car or chassis and should be avoided unless you can figure out how to adapt them to your car. The LG and DG were standard and used on most cars in the 60's and 70's.
Good luck. If you find an LG and don't want it , let me know.
Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Most Hewland gearboxes and gear sets (others make gear sets as well for Heland boxes) are racing parts. Virtually all gear sets in Hewlands are straight cut racing gears. Before any one busts a gut, I acknowledge that there may be some helical cut gears out there, but by-and-large, you will find straight cut. Most people, once the facination is over, will not run straight cut gears on the street for long. If you are building a race car though, Hewland is the gold standard of racing transaxles in my book. And if you don't believe me, wait till you see the prices; then you will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,
Lynn

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The ones I found are a DGZ, a DG300, and a NLT sequential (new) with only 1st gear. Are any of these worth talking about? Prices are from 8K to 20K, Wayne

I have several DG 300's and I go through them every 5-10 hours of use.I am interested in putting one in the 40 too, so you're not the only one.

Back