body latches

hello
Does any body know where to optain the latches for front and rear body sections.the one on the sides 4ea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
best regards michael linder

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Michael, RF make some very nice latches, complete with a little locking slider for extra security. Try contacting Robert Logan at RF.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

ERA has them. They are as original but made from pot metal(zinc).They are also quite expensive, 1000 dollars for 4.Because I am racing my MK4 I am not all that confident in their strength. I have a hood pin holding the rear body. I have thought about making them in aluminum. Any interest?

They are still available from the original manufacturer. The last quote was approx. $680 each if I bought them in quantities of 100. So much for that thought!

[ QUOTE ]
I have thought about making them in aluminum. Any interest?

[/ QUOTE ]
Aluminum's not that strong either - How about titanium? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They are still available from the original manufacturer. The last quote was approx. $680 each if I bought them in quantities of 100. So much for that thought!

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall a set was sold through this forum recently. Why in God's name are they so ridiculously expensive?

Hartwell made the originals from Aluminum. They were aircraft stuff and that just means money. They really don't make them anymore. I imagine the 100 part order was enough to get them to do them again.The parts sold a few weeks ago were latches that needed modification to get them to work and a new bottom mount would have to be made. They do not mount as the originals did so machining would have to be done.

The Hartwell catches are extremely strong and are very easy to modify and use. I have been using them for 5 years with very harsh use in racing without any problems whatsoever and always have several sets in stock at £285(UK Only)for the four complete units.
Regards,
Graham @ GTA
PS. I,ll take a set to the Autosport Show if any one wants to look at quality catches.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
$680 each if bought in quantity of $100.00 is a bargain from what Hartwell told me. Although we didn't discuss quantity of that magnitude the price was more than double that figure and it wasn't a direct replacement latch either. It needed machining and a new base. I'm starting to feel sorry I sold the other set, but as the project has stalled I figured I could always pickup another set when the time comes.

I was told somewhere along the line that the originals were from Canadian helicopters or something like that. Nothing about who the manufacturer was though...

hello
If anyone have the partnumbers or manufactor please let me know.I work in aircraft industri so i might be able to pull some strings.best regards
michael linder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As a side bar, has anyone fit up some Dzus fastners on the front clip? I know some cars had them, most did not. I'm just wondering how much lift under the front clip this thing will see. Four tiny little screws holding thing down look a little iffy.

Any comments?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pat, On the twin nostril (front access 'lift out' panel) I'm using 4 Dzus . In addition I am going to use a concealed sliding lock on each side accessible via the top 2 Naca ducts which will lock in the panel on either side, plus a concealed front end insert that will prevent lift. In addition I also have the other single nostril style obviously in the same colour, though the twin setup now has stainless 'leaf' guards also sprayed the same colour(BRG) and made to the same pattern as the front grill (also stainless but in black). No cooling problems so far with the system regulating at 90 degrees celsius.(195 degrees Fahrenheit ?)
Dave M

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am also using Dzus, but for the rear clip, I stole a styling queue from Hershal. I have put two 1969 Cobra Hood hold downs, counter sunk so as to be flush with the surface on either side of the top of the rear clip. These are basically giant dzus 1/4 turn fasteners with nice finger grasp tops. Thanks for the idea Hersh, I love them!

Regards,
Lynn

If Hersh says the are '68, go with him. I was working from a very shaky memory. I have an advanced case of CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t).

Could you or Hershal post a picture of these latches to give the rest of us an idea of how they are placed. Forgive me if they are already posted on this forum but I can't seem to find any.

Here ya" go Rolf.
Mine are 68 Shelby Mustang hood pins and I got them from
Tony Branda.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 28541-GT40 in the front yard 024.jpg
    28541-GT40 in the front yard 024.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 347
Jasper, i took a set of catches to the show as requested but you did not bother to come along. They and some other sets are now being mailed to the various other customers who wanted them but who i had to say no to as the were being held for you !
Graham @ GTA Racing

Back