New Shelby Cobra anyone?

Launched Sunday 4 Jan in Detroit

2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Webpage

2004 Ford Shelby Cobra Pic Fest

32.jpg

Not my cup of tea, but Ford are really flying with the new GT, the Mustang and now the Cobra.

Rob

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Vomit

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Jim,

Tell us what you really think of it! Don't hold back!

I must admit it does not light my fire. And of course the only "real" connectiion Shelby has to it is to endorse the royalty check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick

P.S. What is the ETA on finishing the P4?

I posted some more pics in P4 thread. Final paint going on this week, then it should go together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 28419-Cnv0579.jpg
    28419-Cnv0579.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 336
I don't like the new Cobra. It ain't bad but it could use some changes. Right now it looks like Rodney Roadster.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh:)

Attachments

• 28430-df.gif
    28430-df.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 335
Looks better from the back than from the front, but that's damning it with faint praise. No roof, no radio, but it still weighs 3,000 pounds. No thanks.

Radio? Listen to the exhaust note. None of my toy cars have a radio.
CAV 40
Ferrari 250GTE
427 Cobra
65 Mustang GT350 Clone
All with no radio

Vic

As I recall, McLaren decided against a radio in the F1,
but did install a killer CD player. I like that kind of
thinking...no mindless drivel....just relaxing sounds
as you cruise the highways...

Much as I like the sound of a high performance exhaust,
it can become quite numbing after a few hours.

MikeD

Ian Clark

Supporter
I wonder if the Shelby Cobra concept is suffering from DCD, Designed by Commitee Disease? Seems like automobile shapes that become instant classics are the product of one or possibly two brilliant minds. I put the car somewhere between a Nash Metropolitan (cute, stubby) and an AMC Pacer (no comment required):)

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't think it looks all that bad, but I don't think it is the looks that gives me the positive spin on the car.

The positiveness I have from it is at least Ford is TRYING to do something with their racing heritage and get back to building interesting cars. I know a lot don't like the new Mustang, but I for one do like its looks and might have to grab one when the SVT version rolls out. Undoubtedly the newer one will have a similar motor to the 2003 car and that thing is a fine piece of engine - even if it is too complicated, too heavy, and doesn't take advantage of its' own bits. At least it can make a bunch of power when modified.

Whatever they are doing at least they are on the right track. Now, if GM can do something more than just come out with a re-hashed Corvette it'd be nice.

[ QUOTE ]
Thuppppp.... Looks like an ugly Audi TT...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The more I look at it, the more I am convinced that Jay Mays had too heavy a hand in the design.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ron, While we're off topic, I'm hearing about a SOHC 3 valve motor for the new Mustang as a base V8. The current 4.6 2 valve SOHC will not be in the new 'stang. Don't know about the hi-po versions, yet.

Yup...I've heard the new GT gets an aluminum 3-valve 4.6 with variable valve timing - 300 hp. Front suspension looks very similar to the E36 BMW M3, while the rear suspension remains a solid axle although a much improved one with a panhard bar. All this on the new DEW-lite chassis, which is light years ahead of the SN95 platform (planks of balsa wood are light days minutes ahead of the SN95 platform). Should be a much improved Mustang. Too bad the front aerodynamics are so incredibly bad.

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, heard the same but I'm not too interested in the base car.

The current "Cobra" Mustang is a 4 valve DOHC with a supercharger. This is the engine I consider good, despite its low revving nature and complexity. All I know is when some tuning these things are making 500 and 600 rear wheel horsepower with little work. I hope an updated version of this motor will come over.

I hope they'll use variable valve timing as well since it is available from the trucks and the GT.

When I saw the first pictures of the new Cobra, I thought they were nice. But when I saw the show "Codename: Daisy" on the Rides series by TLC, I was hooked. This car totally blows away original/replica Cobras. It has the essence of a Cobra: raw performance and no extras. But it also has more: A more sophisticated engine, frame, body, suspension, brakes, aerodynamics, etc. An original doesn't come close.

When viewing the show, I could see them create a true evolution of the originals. I saw the painstaking craftsmanship and design effort.

My car has everything I could do to make it true to what I thought a Cobra should be. Compared to the new Cobra, my car has a more power, less weight, better brakes, a track designed suspension and more. But after seeing this show, I would trade.

on a side note, this dephilment of a cobra is going to be based on a mustang chassis....

so you spend 60 grand+ for a mustang with probably 450 horses.

im not impressed

really? well that makes up for it. even if it is a desicration to the AC cobra name(as far as looks)

i had just been told mustang chassis...which wasnt exactly "aww inspiring"

Back