CAV transaxel

Today I talked to a Ford engineer who works on the GT Ford project and on the side has installed a FE in a CAV. He used the ZF 5 speed because the engine was about 450HP and is used for cruising. He told me that the ZF 6 speed or the porshe 50-52 would handle a big block torque. The 50-52 linkage would be difficult to make work along with input shaft mods, so I guess it will be a 6 speed ZF, Wayne

The ZF 6 speed is the transaxle used in the Saleen S7, so it is certainly proven as far as its ability to handle the torque.

I think it may be longer though. You should check with RBT to make sure it will fit without major rework.

Hi Wayne
Th 50-52 has been used in everal DRBs with good success. Ratios seem better than 50 and a rear end mod is reasonably easy from what I have been told. A difference to note is axle centres are aprox 13mm further from engine bolt face than straight 50 box.
You may want to touch base with Peter from DRB [email protected]
Regards Des

ZF (RBT) 6 speed
This transaxle is inches longer than the ZF 5 speed the extra length is aft of the driveshaft so the shaft angle in not adversely affected.The 6 speed will fit in the CAV tub with no body or chassis mods.
Hope that helps
Bob Lacey

Back