Engines @ Autosport

Back again - this time with a few powerplants - but which would fit in a 40? (if any)...
1) 4.6DOHC Ford - 1100hp@7500 & 1200ftlb@5300 - £35K / US$63K

Attachments

• 28707-Eng1.JPG
    28707-Eng1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 335
The Roush 402 makes just over 500 HP.

The big problem with fitting these engines to a GT40 would not be space; even the turbo engine could be replumed to fit. The question is: where do you get a transaxle that is designed for 800 to 1,000 ft. lbs. of torque?

I recon the new Quaife unit is pretty close, with a shot peen and super polish it should do the job OK. BUT, It depends on a load of other variables, your clutch for starters, then wheel and tyre sizes, drive shaft weights and joints, how you drive, what you drive on, blah, blah, blah........ even traction control I suppose. If you try to think of all the things that`ll generate a sudden shock and deliver it into to the gearbox, and make an effort to reduce the severity of these shocks, you`ll be doing your box a lot of good. It`s not the bhp/torque figure in it`s self that is all that relevant when the numbers get real big, it`s how much of that power you can convert into drive, cars that wheelspin can get away with crap boxes, ones that can transmit it can`t. So at the end of the day, it`s how much can you transmit and how it`s transmitted.
But then I could be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
.... it`s how much of that power you can convert into drive, cars that wheelspin can get away with crap boxes, ones that can transmit it can`t. So at the end of the day, it`s how much can you transmit and how it`s transmitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right. Another thing they told us at Quaife when we visited a while back was that by hitting kerbs at apex points etc you shock load the gear box. The Quaife engineers can tell by looking at the gear teeth who has been hitting kerbs and who hasn't.

The gearbox that we saw at Ricardo Engineering would take the power from any of these engines. It was good enough for the Le Mans winning Audi R8. Each gear tooth looked the size of a brick!

Malcolm

Malcolm

Supporter
Cool. If it had side pods like a more modern formula car, I could fit two baby seats and go for a family track day!

Malcolm

Back