GTD Engine Mounts - from Roy Smart

Hi all - As Roy Smart's trusty sidekick - I thought some might be interested in the engine mounts Roy Smart has fabricated.

They are laser profile cut, lightened (like all things Roy does), folded then welded. They pick up on the existing crossmember(which is removed) bolt positions and also allow two lower than standard positions, as well as the standard position for the engine.

No crossmember also means sump can be easily removed with engine in-situ.

Attachments

• 28714-STMount1.JPG
    28714-STMount1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 326
Note that Roy's car has a hydraulic handbrake, so arrangement for handbrake cables needs to be considered when using these mounts.

Cost of mounts is £60.00 per pair + any applicable postage.

If interested, email [email protected] and I'll forward your details to Roy (as he does not use his PC very often - NB:mail link will be active in approx 4 hrs)

Attachments

• 28715-STMount2.JPG
    28715-STMount2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 330

Howard Jones

Supporter
Doesn't the cross member add any frame stiffness? I would have though it should. I learn something everytime I log on to this forum.

Hi Howard

Whilst there might be some some reduction in stiffness of the chassis, we suspect that it will be barely measurable and certainly has not affected the handling of Roy's Mk1.

His chassis is a lightweight version using thinner wall tubing than standard and we have used mounts of this style for 3 seasons now with no adverse effects.

I forgot to add the price earlier so I have now included it above.

Regards - Paul.

Paul,

Are these mounts simply bolt on? if the engine is dropped does it affect the geometry of the 'box?
'scuse the questions, but the car I've bought has a high-rise intake with very little room for the air filter, dropping it even very slightly would make things easier.
Thanks.
Simon

Hi Simon -
Pretty much yes - but some provision needs to be made for the handbrake cable ends location and it does depend on how your brake pipework is run. It may be necessary to move the pipes slightly, depending on how they were initially formed.

They should be able to pass behind the new mounts in many instances.

Re box geometry - yes, but ideally, you would want to lower it too, although it won't go far without fairly major chassis surgery.

Hope this helps but if you want more details, speak to Roy directly. I'll pm his details to you just in case.

On another note - how about sending me some details of your 40 for inclusion in our website register - just a thought...

regards
PaulT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back