How to mark switch legends on dash?

Ok, need help from the experts - - how did you guys mark legends on your switches and warning lights on the leather dash? Texture of the material makes me wonder how small resolution text would look - -

Attachments

• 28883-Picture 003.jpg
    28883-Picture 003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 333
Dave,
How do you plan to drive the car from there? Where do you plan to put the seat?
Seriously, I have had some thoughts about labelling my switches too. I plan to get some engraving done on brushed stainless steel self-adhesive labels. Unfortunately it's not a very high priority next to everything else that will have to be done before the spring, but I'll let you know if I find anything useable.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
The only original car I've looked at had DYMO labels but I have seen replicas with small engraved Formica or Laminex (laminated plastic) labels. With white lettering on a black background they looked good.

Most trophy shops can probably make you the multi-layer colored plastic type. When you engrave the the red, green or black (there may be other colors) you get white letters with the color chosen. I find no labels a good anti-theft device. Turn off the fuel pumps and they have at least 5 choices to guess at.

Malcolm

Supporter
For the first ten years my car had no labelling. Not really a problem in use especially as teh headlight main beam switch had a longer stalk so i could flick it without looking for it. But then I used black dymo tape labelling and its look great. IMHO of course! My dash is black painted and not leather covered.

Malcolm

Thanks for your replys everyone! I'm not sure I really want to mark up the dash at all, and if I do I want to have something very subtle - NOT stark White lettering or anything - perhaps the etched plaques with a dark gray print? - just don't know.

Tony, I figured the dash in that position would help the wife with her "back seat driving"!! (she can watch the gauges as she runs behind the car (if she ever reads that I'm a dead man!).

cheers

dave

This is an easy one!

Go to your local office supplies store.

You can buy your own labeller that will make the plastic labels EXACTLY as seen in 1075.

Cost about £25. Tape is available in Red and Black.

We use it for labelling switches in our factory. And I will use it for my MDA. I'll take it home tonight, make some labels and post a picture.

Sounds like the same deal Malcolm has.

Regards,

J.P

P-Touch labelers (Brother Mfg) make very nice labels. Lots

of color choices, font choices, etc. Way better that the

old Dymo labelers. Office supply stores carry them.

Bill

Here's a few examples of P-Touch labels.

Please excuse the lovely color, it was already in the

machine. This is but a small sample of what you can do

with one of these things.

Bill

Attachments

• 29535-MVC-001F.JPG
    29535-MVC-001F.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 339

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
There is a guy locally to me who has a plastics sales company. He also has a machine for making lable plates and just about any kind of engraving. It is computer controlled, so he can load fonts for the engraving. He says he has hundreds of fonts and would be happy to make labels for me. It is basically like a CNC machine and he can use a wide variety of materials to engrave on. If anyone out there is interested, I'll go get details and firm up his offering and see what he would be willing to do.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I'll get with him this coming week. I was going to have mine done in aluminum or stainless, but I'll make sure to get possible materials for the labels.

Regards,
Lynn

I think the originals were done in Dymo. I bought a cheap Dymo machine but was concerned of possible damage to the finish on the dash. I ended up just placing one letter eg W for wipers,L for lights etc on the flat part of the Lucas type toggles. It works for me. Regards

Back