J. Mays Autographed HPI Sprint 1/10 AWD Ford GT

Hi all, I don't like to solicit on peoples boards much, but this is an unusual circumstance.

A friend of mine bought this car at auction and now (sadly) needs the money more than it. This car was one of the few raced at the 53rd Annual Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance R/C replica race. The shell was designed, created, and painted in house at Ford, then singed by J. Mays before being raced by either Sir Jackie Steward, Sir Stirling Moss, Jerry Grant, or Lloyd Ruby.

Like I said, I don't like to solicit, but I felt that the people who really care about the heritage of the GT-40 should get a chance to own a little peice of the GT's evolving history. If I am out of line Mods, please feel free to delete this.

Thanks for your time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780421207&category=1225

car.jpg

I know that some guys - me included! - are a little crazy if they - me always included! - can get some rare GT40 related toys or other memorabilia , even if the price is more than expected.

But I doubt that someone would be crazy enough to pay that much money for a simple R/C toy car...I think it's more than just a little overprized!

Your friend should think about a reasonable starting bid - then you may have a chance to get it sold.
Good luck!

Yep, I told this to him also. Someimtes you can't argue with friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I do understand that the kit itself is $325, plus you have all the man hours into creating a one of a kind shell, the fact it was raced at Concours, then singed and authenticated by ford after the race.

What is something like that worth? What will it be worth in 30 years? I have no clue myself. If it were me I would have started it at $500. Would it have sold there do you think?

Don't think it would sell for $500 - for my opinion not for $250. This car is used - never mind WHO used it, but it IS used - and used electric powered R/C cars have no great value. The body finish and paint job seems to be OK, but in no way unusual great - it's a paint job which could be done by any good modeler.

The only thing which makes a REAL difference to any regular R/C toy from Towerhobbies or another hobby shop is the autograph from Mr. Mays - and I wouldn't give a penny for it. Guess in 30 years nobody knows who he was - and then you have a nice body ruined with an unknown autograph...:)

That's my personal opinion - of course other people may think other about.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think it would sell for $500 - for my opinion not for $250. This car is used - never mind WHO used it, but it IS used - and used electric powered R/C cars have no great value. The body finish and paint job seems to be OK, but in no way unusual great - it's a paint job which could be done by any good modeler.

The only thing which makes a REAL difference to any regular R/C toy from Towerhobbies or another hobby shop is the autograph from Mr. Mays - and I wouldn't give a penny for it. Guess in 30 years nobody knows who he was - and then you have a nice body ruined with an unknown autograph...:)

That's my personal opinion - of course other people may think other about.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one makes a 1/10 Ford GT R/C body yet. I think that is where the rarity comes from. I could not believe that the car is worth less than a new Sprint, just because it was raced once. The sig is not the most important part.

Of course I have never bought or sold anything like this.

[ QUOTE ]
No one makes a 1/10 Ford GT R/C body yet. I think that is where the rarity comes from. I could not believe that the car is worth less than a new Sprint, just because it was raced once. The sig is not the most important part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I must correct you - there are at least two Ford GT bodys available. The first one is from PARMA, which looks a little different to the one you'd like to sell, but nevertheless not bad if prepared correctly. I have one, you can get it for about $25 including nice decal sheet, masking tape and so on.
The second one is from NIKKO - and I'm nearly sure the body on your car is one of the NIKKO bodys - not painted in yellow and black, but red and white..
This RTR Ford GT in 1/10 scale with painted lexan body from NIKKO is available since about 4 or 5 months, complete with all you need like transmitter, batteries and charger - and you can get this complete set for $100 - 110....
By the way - the HPI Sprint 1/10 electric powered cars sell for EUR149 or $180 on eBay - brand new incl. painted body.

So I hope you can understand why I think that your friends offer is more than a little overprized. I don't want to make the car bad in any way - it's just and simple way too expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I must correct you - there are at least two Ford GT bodys available. The first one is from PARMA, which looks a little different to the one you'd like to sell, but nevertheless not bad if prepared correctly. I have one, you can get it for about $25 including nice decal sheet, masking tape and so on.
The second one is from NIKKO - and I'm nearly sure the body on your car is one of the NIKKO bodys - not painted in yellow and black, but red and white..
This RTR Ford GT in 1/10 scale with painted lexan body from NIKKO is available since about 4 or 5 months, complete with all you need like transmitter, batteries and charger - and you can get this complete set for $100 - 110....
By the way - the HPI Sprint 1/10 electric powered cars sell for EUR149 or $180 on eBay - brand new incl. painted body.

So I hope you can understand why I think that your friends offer is more than a little overprized. I don't want to make the car bad in any way - it's just and simple way too expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected about the Ford GT 1/10th scale body. NIKKO does make a kit with this body. But it is not the same as the Ford built one.

See it here
http://store1.yimg.com/I/ggable1961-store_1761_3114411

Your correct, well used cars are going for $150-$175 on eBay. I'm not trying to support the original starting price, I also think it is very high, but I'm trying to figure out what it will sell for when I list it for him again.

It's obvious that you could give two craps about the signature, or who it was raced by. But in your mind what would it be worth to a GT collector? Maybe he paid to much for it at auction.... who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
I stand corrected about the Ford GT 1/10th scale body. NIKKO does make a kit with this body. But it is not the same as the Ford built one.

See it here
http://store1.yimg.com/I/ggable1961-store_1761_3114411
Your correct, well used cars are going for $150-$175 on eBay. I'm not trying to support the original starting price, I also think it is very high, but I'm trying to figure out what it will sell for when I list it for him again.

It's obvious that you could give two craps about the signature, or who it was raced by. But in your mind what would it be worth to a GT collector? Maybe he paid to much for it at auction.... who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,
nice picture - but unfortunately it doesn't show the 1/10 scale lexan Ford GT body. It's a prototype picture of the 1/16 scale Ford GT from NIKKO with the hard plastic body. I'll post a picture of the 1/10 scale body after receiving my car.

If you ask what your special model would be worth to a GT collector - well, I collect all Ford GT40 stuff since years, and my toy and model collection is about 700 different GT40's in all scales from 1/160 up to 1/8....So I believe I have the right to call me a "collector".

As told before, your car is a nice one, and it looks like the bodywork was done in a professional manner. But it's not a "one of a kind" item. The chassis is a mass production one, and if my suggestion about the body manufactur is right, it's the same. And this two facts are decisive to figure out a value.

Of course it may make a difference to your friend if he was involved with the event where the car comes from. If he saw who raced it, and if he personally got the autograph on the body it would make a difference in value for him - but not to other people who are not involved in this event and see it as an ordinary eBay offer.

For those, same as for me, it's "just" a nicely done R/C Ford GT model which they compare with other offers. I guess that they are not willing to pay that much money for other people's memorys. And then they make their decision to buy or not to buy.

Hope you'll find someone who likes it that much that he/she will pay the asked price - but to be honest, I don't believe.

If you want to list it again, try it with a lower starting bid around $100 - $150. This would save eBay fees, and you may find some bidders for it.

Good luck!

What I expected - auction ended without a bid. I wonder if it will be relisted with a reasonable starting price?!

Volker

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to list it again, try it with a lower starting bid around $100 - $150. This would save eBay fees, and you may find some bidders for it.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well unfortunatly he fought to get it at auction for more than 4 times that.

I will have to see what he wants to relist at.

There is another manufacturer of a 1/10 GT body kit and it is hands down the best, 10 times more detailed and proportioned than the Parma, Proline, and Nikko cars. It has the Wyer Gulf Livery. If you want one, I can sell you one. Shoot me an email if you like: [email protected]

Jay Schultz
www.imagesofmotorsport.com

Back