any of you do spec miata racing?

been thumbing through the nasapro website trying to find which class would be the easiest/cheapest to get into

just curious if anyone has experience with this class. seems good for everything being "spec'd" and the cars being extremely cheap to buy

Raced in the NASA endurance series in an E2 Honda Civic and my advice is by all means research a Spec Miata. SEVERAL things going for it:

1. RWD fun car to drive
2. Can be driven to/from track
3. SCCA and NASA class
4. Upper levels of Spec Miata has pro drivers
5. Can be used in track-days to get instruction and get a racing license
6. Limited mods (though the top cars are gone through nut by bolt until they are perfect).
7. Huge availability of parts and donor cars.

There's a reason why Spec Miata has 45+ fields of cars and it IS the best available racing right now.

[ QUOTE ]
Raced in the NASA endurance series in an E2 Honda Civic and my advice is by all means research a Spec Miata. SEVERAL things going for it:

1. RWD fun car to drive
2. Can be driven to/from track
3. SCCA and NASA class
4. Upper levels of Spec Miata has pro drivers
5. Can be used in track-days to get instruction and get a racing license
6. Limited mods (though the top cars are gone through nut by bolt until they are perfect).
7. Huge availability of parts and donor cars.

There's a reason why Spec Miata has 45+ fields of cars and it IS the best available racing right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no wonder i post here, never a shortage of good info. even if i dont have a GT40, always learn something new

the cheapness wasmy main thing. miatas have pathetic re-sale. ive seen 2000s go for 8 with low miles. havent yet checked into like a 93 or so.

how is pittin done? or are the races fairly short. most of what is saw on nasapro was about setting up the car

Get to know the class before buying a car, your best bet is to buy one already set up and tweak it rather than build one from scratch.

I highly recommend reading the rules. People are running 91s and mid 90s cars for several reasons:
Spec Miata rules PDF

The normal races are sprint races and you wouldn't have any pitstops...that would only become important if you ran enduros. The FIRST thing to do is go to a couple of race weekends and talk to people and get a feel for what's going on before considering spending any money.

Back